Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking in different directions!

How do you manage taking three (or more) toddlers out when they all run in different directions once they are out of the pushchair?

On the days when this is likely to happen, we just go to a field for our daily outing. It's enclosed and has nothing to climb on etc. so whilst I am trying to train them all up, it doesn't matter too much if they go in different directions, or if one wants to run ahead while another wants to stop and look at the daisies. My days are increasing though with this particular trio and I don't want to have to go to the enclosed field every day. Any tips?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a tricky one! I guess it comes naturally when they get used to going out as a trio and the expected behaviour/boundaries you put in place. I have always made the children hold hands or on to the pushchair when out walking then once we get to our destination they are free to explore, I would normally say they are not allowed past a certain point. At the park is the one where one will be on the slide and another on the bouncy/spring things.

Sorry not much help but didn't want to read and run
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Back pack reins.
    Training them to 'stop' - 'go' when getting too far away (traffic lights game).
    Or taking buggy and they hold it as they walk to keep together.
    It's a balance, I find - finding safe moments when they can 'run'... teaching them to 'stop' on command (if getting too far away)... and training them to hold buggy/hold hands when needed.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have 3 boys aged between 2.5 and 3. We used the backpack reins when out walking and would only go to small enclosed playgrounds where I could keep an eye on them. The reins stopped them running off but it didn't stop them from being competitive and wanting to walk in front of another, etc. On days where I had two of them and a younger one in a buggy they would hold onto the buggy very well.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We hold hands or 'magic straps' ( aka dog leads! ) on the buggy.
    Until I can trust them to walk with me, they are on reins.

If they run off, or don't stay with me, they are immediately brought back to hold onto the buggy.

They learn very quickly to stay with me!

9. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    How do you manage taking three (or more) toddlers out when they all run in different directions once they are out of the pushchair?

On the days when this is likely to happen, we just go to a field for our daily outing. It's enclosed and has nothing to climb on etc. so whilst I am trying to train them all up, it doesn't matter too much if they go in different directions, or if one wants to run ahead while another wants to stop and look at the daisies. My days are increasing though with this particular trio and I don't want to have to go to the enclosed field every day. Any tips?
    Interested in hearing this. I have 3 little ones some days now and although ive had 3 before i cant remember how i coped and i struggle to think where we can go to keep them safe and contained!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumofone, I'm still working on it! What I have decided though is that one day a week I will carry on going to the enclosed field (we can take bubble, balls, a couple of books etc) and on another day we're just going to do a full set up in the garden and stay there. On the other days of the week I'm still not sure. Mine have been taking it in turns to be off sick recently, so I've not had too many days with all three of the little ones.

My garden really isn't toddler friendly at all though. We live on a hill and so my garden is on different levels with steps and low walls everywhere, so I can never relax. We did garden play all yesterday and the youngest one kept wandering off down the side passage (even though all the 'exciting' stuff I had planned was nowhere near there). Each time I had to bring him back it meant I didn't have my eye on the others. I long for a flat garden.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maza, could you put up a fence or temporary barrier to make a section for the children to play in?

My garden is flat, but parts of it are very wild and not very child-safe. I've got an area fenced off where the children can play freely. We do go into the rest of the garden, but only under supervision.

14. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's such an odd garden Mouse that I can't add fences really. Not without spending a fortune on a substantial one. I'll have to try and add a photo of part of it a I can't really describe it. Got the dog napping on me at the moment, so I'll try and grab a photo later. I did ask my inspector about it when I had mt no children on roll inspection and she didn't see any issue with it as it was good for risk taking. That may be true for three year olds, but young toddlers stress me out in my garden! One child at a time is fine, but when there are three I have to have eyes everywhere as there are several steep 'drops' around my garden.

16. Likes Dragonfly liked this post