Playing with books
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing with books

What's your view on children using books for things other than looking at?

I've got a little boy at the moment who uses the board books as ramps. I usually stop him and give him other things to use (cardboard boxes, pieces of wood etc), but am I stopping his creativity by not letting him use the books?

I think it's fair enough when I stop them from standing on books, but wonder if I'm being too harsh stopping them from using them in other ways.

I'm interested in what you all think.

2. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would be ok with it, as long as it's the more robust board books. I'm pretty sure I let my own children use books for ramps!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would be fine with it too, as long as the books weren't in danger of being ruined.

I remember when I was little, I was ALWAYS getting told off for drawing in books (especially the title page or the pages next to it which tend to have more space for drawing). I literally remember looking at my dad as I was being told off and thinking "well where else am I supposed to draw?" I had an innate desire to draw but hadn't been provided with any paper.

I do have one who likes to suck/chew books, and that is a definite no no!

5. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I think every one has different rules, I don’t like seeing books littering the floor being walked on. I’d provide other things for ramps, bits of wood , cardboard etc and leave it where he can find it.

7. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I think every one has different rules, I don’t like seeing books littering the floor being walked on. I’d provide other things for ramps, bits of wood , cardboard etc and leave it where he can find it.
    That's the problem I am having with my new little one, she takes all the books out of the basket so she can climb in it. She is only 1 but it's a constant battle as I don't want to take away the books as it's not fair on the other children.
    Pixie Dust

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that with my one year old,I’m constantly picking books up . But also some of the older ones just drop books on the floor, say my 2.5 year old. I don’t think a lot of parents teach looking after books like us 😊.

Maybe a box or different basket would help you for the child to sit in / play with? Don’t hold your breath though they will still probably want the book basket .

10. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have that with my one year old,I’m constantly picking books up . But also some of the older ones just drop books on the floor, say my 2.5 year old. I don’t think a lot of parents teach looking after books like us 😊.

Maybe a box or different basket would help you for the child to sit in / play with? Don’t hold your breath though they will still probably want the book basket .
    This made me smile Dragonfly as we had a delivery with a lovely cardboard box which I thought the little one would live to climb in and out of but no they weren't interested in that at all
    Pixie Dust

12. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post