Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playgroups and parents

Do you ask the parents if they are happy for you to attend playgroups?

I never used to, pre-covid. However, now that some are opening up locally I would like to dip my toe in again, so to speak. Not every week, but as and when. I felt that I needed to ask parents on their thoughts. So far, I have only asked two. One is fine about it, but the other one said they would rather I didn't (current climate). Fortunately, that was the parent of my 'one day a week' child. She does come on a day when the most local playgroup is on though, and the one I was looking forward to.

I'm really hoping that the others don't say no. To be honest, I thought they would all say yes as long as we acted responsibly once there/washed hands on return etc.

I think I'll have to word it carefully to the other parents to try and convince them to say yes.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't 'ask' the parents if i can do anything !

I usually talk about what I do/where I go when we first meet, and then just mention that we are going to X Y Z on tuesday ( or sometimes, I don't decide until all the children are here about what we are doing or where we are going! ) I do explain, that as they have chosen me to care for their child, then they have to trust that I make the right decisions.

All my local groups all closed due to Covid, and some are not re-opening The one I do attend, re-opened with strict rules and guidelines, and I felt it was safe. If I hadn't felt it was safe, I would not have returned. A local(ish) soft play runs a toddler group, but i really can't bring myself to visit yet ( if ever again! )

3. Likes Maza, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's how I used to do it Loocyloo. That's certainly how I'll do it in the future!

Mmm, tricky predicament now, as the two parents who I haven't yet asked are good friends with the one I did ask, so they might get the hump if they find out that I 'asked' the one mum but didn't ask them.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe just mention to the other parents that you are 'thinking' about going to some/a local playgroup and how great it will be for the children to mix in a larger group, meet other adults, find some new/more friends etc etc ... all without actually asking them IF you can go! then, if the other mum says anything, they can think the first mum didn't quite get that you were telling her, no asking her! good luck xxx

7. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time I ever asked parents about taking children to a toddler group was when it was a church run one. There was a religious theme running through the activities so I wanted to check they were OK about that.

They were all fine about it, but in the end it was me who decided not to go. Because of my own views I felt a bit of a hypocrite taking advantage of their group when I couldn't commit to their ethos.

I have to be honest, I rarely ask parents about anything I do. I explain what I do from the beginning so they know where we go/what we do etc.

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not ask. I would announce in a good new kind of way that we can finally return to toddler group and what a great opportunity it is for the children. Going to groups was always part of my provision pre-covid, so should not be a big shock for my lot.

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo, mama2three liked this post