Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Covid query

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Covid query

I'm trying to get my head around the new covid rules and how they apply to us, but the more I read, the more confused I am!

I think that if a minded child's household member tests positive they will have to isolate, but that the child won't have to and could still come to us. But what about in these situations?

A parent has been identified as a close contact of a positive case. They don't have to isolate if they're double jabbed and the child could carry on coming as normal, with the parent bringing them. I think that's right? If the parent isn't double jabbed they would have to isolate, but the child could still come?

What if the parent then gets symptoms? They would do a test and isolate until they get the results? But the child could still come as long as someone else brought them?

If the parent tested positive, the child could still come, but not brought by the positive parent? Any other doubly jabbed adults in the household could carry on as normal, unless they got symptoms as well?

Then if the child developed symptoms they'd either need a test or would have to isolate for 10 days?

I'm not sure I'd be happy letting a child come if their parent (or household member) tested positive. Is anyone going to exclude children if that happens?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the issue a lot of us are worried about as you are right in that a child can still come to us even if another member of their household tests positive due to the new isolation rules. Personally I do not want to accept a child where a household member has tested positive but I need to let parents know, I just need to find the right words to explain this to the parents.
    I think I read that if someone in our household tests positive we would not be allowed to work from home even though we can have the children in when someone from their household tests positive.
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes Mouse, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm trying to get my head around the new covid rules and how they apply to us, but the more I read, the more confused I am!

I think that if a minded child's household member tests positive they will have to isolate, but that the child won't have to and could still come to us. But what about in these situations?

A parent has been identified as a close contact of a positive case. They don't have to isolate if they're double jabbed and the child could carry on coming as normal, with the parent bringing them. I think that's right? If the parent isn't double jabbed they would have to isolate, but the child could still come? CORRECT

What if the parent then gets symptoms? They would do a test and isolate until they get the results? But the child could still come as long as someone else brought them? CORRECT

If the parent tested positive, the child could still come, but not brought by the positive parent? Any other doubly jabbed adults in the household could carry on as normal, unless they got symptoms as well? CORRECT

Then if the child developed symptoms they'd either need a test or would have to isolate for 10 days? CORRECT

I'm not sure I'd be happy letting a child come if their parent (or household member) tested positive. Is anyone going to exclude children if that happens?
    Test & Trace would be involved in that last case, they may give advise on that. I'd be discussing with the family if that happened, and suggesting the child is kept home. Depends on the situation - if it's a baby in very close contact with a positive-testing mum I'd prefer they stayed home as more at risk... compared to an older schoolie who is keeping their distance from a positive-testing parent who is staying in their spare room and using a seperate bathroom... all depends on the situation and your judgement of risk.

5. Likes Mouse, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've told all parents that even though their child COULD come if they had tested positive/had symptoms, I will not be accepting them, as if I or a member of my family get covid, then I have to shut, affecting everyone. No one has said they don't agree. This is what I said.

I AM AWARE THAT CLOSE CONTACTS OF POSITIVE CASES OF CORONAVIRUS DO NOT NEED TO ISOLATE ANY MORE, HOWEVER, IF I OR ANY OF MY FAMILY TESTS POSITIVE/HAVE SYMPTOMS, I HAVE TO SHUT. SO, IN AN ATTEMPT TO MINIMISE DISTRUPTION TO EVERYONE, I AM STILL REQUIRING THE CHILDREN TO ISOLATE IF ANY MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY HAS SYMPTOMS/TESTS POSITIVE.*

*The DfE has stated that in 'exceptional circumstances' settings may decide to refuse a close contact in the setting if, "in the setting's reasonable judgement, it is necessary to protect those within the setting from possible infection with COVID-19". Settings should make sure to consider all the circumstances in making this decision, including disruption to the child and current public health advice.

7. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post

all depends on the situation and your judgement of risk.
    All the children I have are under 3, so very little chance of them isolating away from parents.

I'm thinking of saying that initially I'll exclude the child if a parent tested positive, but I'll review it at half term and again at the end of term to see what's happening with the number of cases. I don't have any school aged children, but some of my mindees do have school aged siblings so I think I'd rather wait and see what happens when they go back to school. Our schools were getting lots of cases before the holidays and I can't see that changing if children don't have to isolate now.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I've told all parents that even though their child COULD come if they had tested positive/had symptoms, I will not be accepting them, as if I or a member of my family get covid, then I have to shut, affecting everyone. No one has said they don't agree. This is what I said.

I AM AWARE THAT CLOSE CONTACTS OF POSITIVE CASES OF CORONAVIRUS DO NOT NEED TO ISOLATE ANY MORE, HOWEVER, IF I OR ANY OF MY FAMILY TESTS POSITIVE/HAVE SYMPTOMS, I HAVE TO SHUT. SO, IN AN ATTEMPT TO MINIMISE DISTRUPTION TO EVERYONE, I AM STILL REQUIRING THE CHILDREN TO ISOLATE IF ANY MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY HAS SYMPTOMS/TESTS POSITIVE.*

*The DfE has stated that in 'exceptional circumstances' settings may decide to refuse a close contact in the setting if, "in the setting's reasonable judgement, it is necessary to protect those within the setting from possible infection with COVID-19". Settings should make sure to consider all the circumstances in making this decision, including disruption to the child and current public health advice.
    Thank you Loocyloo. I may pinch your wording for my newsletter

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thank you Loocyloo. I may pinch your wording for my newsletter
    Welcome!