Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Involving Parents

I've been reading a few Ofsted reports, and something I see mentioned a few times is involving/taking into consideration parents views to develop the service that we offer.

I used to do a survey, but honestly it made me cringe handing it out and then reading it. I really don't want to do things differently. Not that I got anything bad, it was all good with just the suggestion from one parent that I could include more eggs in the menu - and that was easily done and actually helped me a lot - much easier/cheaper than some of the meat dishes I had been preparing. I dread to think what culinary delights my current parents would suggest I include.

I asked about other stuff to, such as the settling in process and activities provided etc.

The last few months, I have been trialing something a bit less formal. Every now and then I write a question in the diary - but it is mostly linked to their particular child, rather than my service in general. I also have to word things so carefully because my new parents, although lovely, seem to expect the earth, so I don't want them thinking that I can meet each and every suggestion that they make. They would honestly go to town.

I guess Ofsted can't ask for evidence these days, although they could ask parents how we do this...

Has anyone found a fool proof way of getting parental input? Or has anyone read any research that they could point me in the direction of?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I just send the questionnaires and not every year. And I talk to the parents about activities etc 🤷🏻*♀️

3. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up questionnaires years ago, waste of time i think. With just a few families it is more about knowing your families, having a chat, knowing the children. Ofsted will not want to see written evidence, but it is useful to have a story ready if asked (an example that you can remember - ie 'a parent was finding son was grumpy and hungry on the way home so we introduced an afternoon snack and that worked well and that helped...' it can be as simple as that, don't overcomplicate!). Also, if inspectors get a chance to speak to parents at an inspection, they might ask how the CMer has discussed things with them.

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks moggy, like you say, we do tend to overthink things. Great example there!

7. Likes moggy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent advice from Moggy.

At my last inspection the inspector asked how I used information from parents, or something like that. I said that one of the mums chose to provide to food and her lunches were so good I copied a lot of her ideas. She was happy with that!

9. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post