Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Colds

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colds

Are you accepting children with colds? (Obviously not a temperature or cough.)

A couple of my children have snotty noses and are bunged up, probably sneezing too - they were coming down with it last week. The parents are putting the ball in my court. I don't mind having children with colds under normal circumstances because some of them would never be in if we excluded for every nose wipe or sneeze.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found that when children are new they nearly always come down with a cold/snotty nose as they're getting exposed to a new environment.

I'm happy to have them with a bit of a cold or a runny nose, as long as they're able to take part in our normal activities. I'll wipe noses, make sure they have plenty of fresh air, make sure they have plenty of fluids etc, but I won't care for a child who needs constant cuddles and is clearly unwell.

If I'm not sure, I'll often accept the child but warn parents I'll contact them to collect their child if I feel they need to be at home. More often than not the children are as happy as ever and totally forget they'd been feeling a bit grotty. If they don't get distracted by the other children and our activities, I send them home.

3. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect Mouse, thanks. Those are my thoughts too. I'm just always paranoid that I've missed an update or something.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, That's what i do too Mouse and Maza.

x

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine seem to always have colds, they'd never come if I turned them away!! But I do get annoyed when they clearly should really be at home and the parents know it but they drop them off saying "call me if there are any problems"...GRR

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Mine seem to always have colds, they'd never come if I turned them away!! But I do get annoyed when they clearly should really be at home and the parents know it but they drop them off saying "call me if there are any problems"...GRR

Yes, that is annoying - don't think we'll ever win that one. What's irking me at the moment is that two of my parents are saying sweetly "they must have caught x's cold" - they knew that one of my other mindees was off with a bad cold last week. It's annoying because I know they are living life to the full when they are not with me - going swimming and to playgroups etc, but no, they caught it at mine.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There definitely seems to be a few bugs doing the rounds as I have one off today due to a heavy cold and feeling generally unwell and another has returned from their holiday full of cold!
    Pixie Dust

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Yes, that is annoying - don't think we'll ever win that one. What's irking me at the moment is that two of my parents are saying sweetly "they must have caught x's cold" - they knew that one of my other mindees was off with a bad cold last week. It's annoying because I know they are living life to the full when they are not with me - going swimming and to playgroups etc, but no, they caught it at mine.
    That annoys me. The one I sent home last week was back yesterday. Not 100%, but well enough to be here. Despite having told me that other family members had been ill, mum hinted that he must have got his cold from being here. I did tell her I'm keeping my fingers crossed her child hadn't given it to anyone else and she really didn't like that!

14. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Are you accepting children with colds? (Obviously not a temperature or cough.)

A couple of my children have snotty noses and are bunged up, probably sneezing too - they were coming down with it last week. The parents are putting the ball in my court. I don't mind having children with colds under normal circumstances because some of them would never be in if we excluded for every nose wipe or sneeze.
    Can we take a baby in with a cough if the parents have tested negative?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question mumofone. I not sure of the answer. Everything is put down to teething nowadays so maybe they will try that!

I would probably say yes but I’d probably be uncomfortable as the others will pick it up?

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough one. Just because the parents have tested negative, doesn't mean the baby couldn't have it.

I had 2 children a few weeks back who were both unwell. Parents said it couldn't be covid because they (the parents) had had negative lateral flow tests! I said it didn't work that way.

19. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i think it depends on how 'persistant' the cough is?

just a bit of a cough now and then, or even a big cough now or then, i think is ok, it's when they are coughing almost all the time that i would say no/send home.

x

21. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The important word in the symptoms is 'persistent' cough. To be honest, if a baby was coughing persistently, I'd be concerned anyway, covid or not, and would suggest seeing GP or pharmacist. A bit of coughing along with a cold is fine, as long as otherwise well and happy and able to join in the day's activities.

23. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post