Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you manage nap time?

How do you organise nap time?

If one or more child needs settling when you put them down, what do you do with the other children? If you have one who doesn't nap, do they come with you when you put the others down for their nap?

How about nappy change time? What do the others do when you are changing a nappy?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hmmmmm ...

this sounds odd, but I don't particularly manage nap or nappy times! we all just bumble along.

My youngest minded children who nap at random times, nap in the buggy which is either in the sitting room (opposite kitchen ), or outside the french windows (in the kitchen). When a little one needs a sleep, I leave everyone playing in playroom ( off the kitchen ) and pop the child down. sometimes I have to stand and rock for a bit, at which point, the other children generally just play. often just around the corner! They just know that that is what they do! Older minded children have a nap after lunch, and those who are napping go and settle themselves down on a sleep mat, and those who are not, usually sit at the little table in kitchen and look at a book/draw/do a puzzle, whilst I settle the others down. IF I had a baby that wasn't sleeping, then I would probably take them with me to sort the others, but from about 18/20 mths, I encourage mine to be independent in settling themselves for a nap, and I check they are settled, have blankets and say 'night night' !

nappy times; my downstairs toilet with mat etc in, is also just off the kitchen, and we all go or not! some sit on the stairs and chat, some like to pass me wipes etc, invariably someone needs to use the potty ... or they just stay playing. I can always hear what they are doing, and I know which children can't be left! But as soon as they start using the potty, I encourage them to take themselves and to be independent.

3. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Loocyloo. I manage sleep times, but I don't really know how!

At the moment I don't have any who sleep, so it's not a problem. Having said that, one of the children feel asleep on the floor just before home time today!

When I have a younger child/baby start with me, I usually begin by putting them in the pushchair to sleep so I can keep an eye on them and rock them if I need to. I'll put them in the kitchen, next to the playroom and put some music on for them. I can then see them and the non-sleepers who will be doing a quiet activity.
    After a while I find they get used to settling themselves in the pushchair, so I can start putting them to sleep in the lounge. It means the other children don't have to be so quiet! Then, once they're used to settling themselves to sleep in the pushchair in the lounge, I'll move them onto sleep mats.

I rarely use a travel cot. I don't really have room for them and I have limited success at getting children to sleep in them.

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have a travel cot, and i use it if i have someone who 'resists' a nap, but i prefer not to!

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the same as the others but I don't have any sleepers at the moment. I have a travel cot somewhere but to be honest my little ones have never used it, they preferred the pushchair or the sleep mats. As far as nappy changes and toileting goes my bathroom is next to the playroom so they can all go independently and I change nappies in the bathroom doorway so I can see the others playing.
    Pixie Dust

9. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I resorted to putting one to sleep in the pushchair today and he went straight off after having a paddy in the travel cot. Suits me as putting two travel cots up and down twice a day makes my back ache. Sooooo, do we need parent permission to put children down for a nap in the pushchair?

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I resorted to putting one to sleep in the pushchair today and he went straight off after having a paddy in the travel cot. Suits me as putting two travel cots up and down twice a day makes my back ache. Sooooo, do we need parent permission to put children down for a nap in the pushchair?
    A few years ago we were told to ask permission to put children to sleep in a pushchair, but I don't now.

I have an information list that I ask parents to sign and one of the bullet points on that is that children might sleep in a pushchair. I also discuss it with them before the child starts.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just say to parents that I'll put them down to sleep where works best for them and me. They are always happy with that.

Top tip .... I've just bought a new gadget to help get a child asleep in a buggy! ... it's called a 'rockit' and you clip it on and it shakes and vibrates! My 'need to rock for 20 mins baby' was asleep in seconds! 30 years I've been rocking children in buggies! No more!

15. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I read about one of those on fb Loocyloo. I had no idea what one was, but I do now. I might have to look into it.

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Ooooh, I read about one of those on fb Loocyloo. I had no idea what one was, but I do now. I might have to look into it.
    It cost £40 new, as they were not much cheaper second hand! so not cheap, but it seems really well made and i think it is going to be a game changer!

19. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post