Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you all go to the door?

How do you manage home time when you have multiple toddlers/non walkers? So when the first parent arrives at the end of the day, do you pick up/take everyone to the door with you? Do they all just hang around the door while you do the brief handover? I'm paranoid about little fingers getting trapped in the door - does anyone have a door jam (or whatever they are called) on the hinges side of the door to prevent this happening?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find they all tend to follow me to the door, whatever their age! I usually carry the non-mobile child and the others follow.

I have bookcase in the hall and they all help themselves to books while I'm handing the child over at the door. Depending how long the handover takes, it does mean I end up with a huge pile of books on the floor, but at least I know where the children are!

Could you have a small box of toys near the front door so the non-walkers or toddlers can sit and play while you hand over the other child? I know that if I left some of the children alone in the room they'd get up to mischief!

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm, some books near the door might be an idea. I couldn't leave them in the play room while I went to the door - they are too young and the playroom is too far away.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I find they all tend to follow me to the door, whatever their age! I usually carry the non-mobile child and the others follow.

I have bookcase in the hall and they all help themselves to books while I'm handing the child over at the door. Depending how long the handover takes, it does mean I end up with a huge pile of books on the floor, but at least I know where the children are!

Could you have a small box of toys near the front door so the non-walkers or toddlers can sit and play while you hand over the other child? I know that if I left some of the children alone in the room they'd get up to mischief!
    Same happens here !!! Usually have all the children saying hello to whichever parent is at the door as well, and telling them about our day!

I have a box of books at the bottom of my stairs for going home time. X

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am quite lucky as my playroom is right next to the front door so I can leave older ones happily playing and go to the door but 9 times out of ten they all come in to the hallway to see what's going on anyway. I have one particularly talkative 4 year old who has started asking a parent of a child who is toilet training " How's the toileting going today then?"
    Pixie Dust

8. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    How do you manage home time when you have multiple toddlers/non walkers? So when the first parent arrives at the end of the day, do you pick up/take everyone to the door with you? Do they all just hang around the door while you do the brief handover? I'm paranoid about little fingers getting trapped in the door - does anyone have a door jam (or whatever they are called) on the hinges side of the door to prevent this happening?
    I hate home time for this reason - kids suddenly get all hyper, loads of potential for tears and upset etc.

10. Likes Maza liked this post