Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many new ones at once?

As most of you know, I just recently returned to minding and am having to start from scratch having moved to a new area. I've had one mindee for a while and have been hoping to find another couple of mindees.

I've recently had an influx of inquiries, all wanting to start next month! Theoretically, I can fit them all in because they are part timers, but I am a bit nervous that it is too much too soon. Last time I was minding I had my daughter as one of my numbers, so obviously there was no 'getting to know you' needed with her. My other mindees were added gradually once I had sussed the current ones out and was in a routine etc.

So, I could potentially have three new mindees (all 13 months old) starting in the next few weeks. Did you build up your business gradually or were you chucked in at the deep end?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first started out I had my own young children, so I only every had one space at a time. It must have been about 10 years before I had 3 places available, so it was a very slow start!

Do you feel confident having several new starters at one time? Over the years I've often had it, for example in a September when most of the current mindees have left for school. I never have 2 new starters on the same day but am quite happy to have them on different days. So I might have 3 new ones over a week, but never 2 at the same day.

I'm happy to jump in at the deep end and get to know the children as we go along, but if you'd prefer a slower start, you could try staggering their starts.

3. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d go for it and get to know the children as you go along if you feel comfortable too.

5. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure you will be fine Maza ...when I first started I only had 1 for a few months and it is quite daunting thinking about having more but you soon get into a routine. I will be having new ones starting in September and planning a few settling in visits beforehand so hopefully it will go smoothly, but they are all young ones too and it's been a while since I have had little ones that young.
    Pixie Dust

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i try not to settle little ones at the same time. I find that the littlest ones often need a bit more time whilst you learn to read their cues for sleep/food etc, and it is hard when you have 2 you are 'learning' at the same time. An older child who can speak, along with a little one is fine!

I've had new children start at the same time, just not on the same day!

Good luck xx

9. Likes Maza liked this post