Safeguarding training
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safeguarding training

Have any of you done a good online safeguarding course that you'd recommend?

I did a DSL course that our LA had recommended to us, but it was aimed at group settings, not childminders. I didn't find much of it relevant at all and don't feel as if I gained much from it. I then did another one through the training available on childcare.co.uk, but that was just an introduction to safeguarding. It was a really useful reminder, but I think I need something in between.

Also, do you have a safeguarding folder? If you do, what do you have in it?

Safeguarding is such an important area and there are so many different aspects to it, I'm concerned I'm going to miss something.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel the same.

Our LA have a local safeguarding board ( but it's probably changed its name now! ) and they have links to safeguarding courses both online and face to face ( when allowed ) but only the basic one is relevant to childminders ( and even then, not quite! ) the website is our 'go to' for safeguarding forms/info/advice etc.

I've done a couple through childcare.co.uk... think they were educate.

I don't have a safeguarding folder, mainly because things change all the time. I have a 'shortcut' link to the above website in my childminder file on my laptop. I have a safeguarding policy that is rather long, that covers the basics plus prevent/fgm/countylines and says for further advice i will look at website/seek advice & support. My early years support advisor ( used to be childminder support ) says that if we have any suspicion or concern, we are better contacting someone for support, as they wouldn't expect us to know exactly what to do and that is what they are for.

4. Likes Mouse, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm the same regarding courses. I feel ok with the theory, but since I moved to a new LA, the system just seems so much more complicated and full of acronyms etc. My old LA seemed much more straightforward. My safeguarding policy is so long now too - I used the LA one but cut out a lot of the wordy stuff.

I do have a folder - I made one up a few years ago and I used a list that Sarah had compiled on childcare.co.uk somewhere. I can hear my mindee stirring, so I'll check the contents later and get back to you.

6. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to know I'm not alone!

Our LA website is so complicated to navigate. Just trying to find contact numbers is almost impossible. I've never even found a safeguarding policy on there.

I'll keep digging and hope I find what I'm looking for.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's good to know I'm not alone!

Our LA website is so complicated to navigate. Just trying to find contact numbers is almost impossible. I've never even found a safeguarding policy on there.

I'll keep digging and hope I find what I'm looking for.
    look to see if you have a 'local safeguarding board' ... i was under the impression that every LA had to have one.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    look to see if you have a 'local safeguarding board' ... i was under the impression that every LA had to have one.
    Silly me, that's what I meant, the Local Safeguarding Board website, not the LA website!

It's so hard to find anything on there. You know when you follow one link, that leads to another, then another, then a dead page!

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We do all our safeguarding courses via our LA , they advertise all the courses and they are aimed at early years settings. They used to put them on for free but I am not sure if they charge now as I am not due to do another one until next year.
    Pixie Dust

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just checked mu safeguarding folder. I have the following sections:

Training (certificates and log)

Policies (including flow charts)

Local Information

National Information

Blank Forms (Incidents, referral existing injuries etc)

British Values info

NSPCC Information

13. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No sooner do i make up a folder than all the information changes, i struggle to keep up with it all!

15. Likes Maza liked this post