Thread: Nappies

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nappies

Ok, cloth nappies.

The 'green' mum who is coming to do a visit tomorrow is bound to use cloth nappies. I remember reading lots of posts here and in other places about the pros and cons of cloth nappies, but I thought I'd ask again, because things may have moved on since the negative stuff I read (mainly linked to smell).

So, obviously they are great for the environment, which I fully support. What are some of the practicalities that I will need to aware of? Forewarned is forearmed as Loocyloo would say!

Sorry, I don't mean to be condescending by calling her a 'green' mum. I do my bit, but could do a bigger bit.

2. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry... I've never had a child use them! So no advice whatsoever!

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on which nappies parents use and how much the child wees!

I had one child use them and they leaked badly. If I didn’t change him every hour he’d be soaked through and it would mean a whole change of clothes every time. He might as well not have been wearing a nappy. Sleep times were a nightmare and I used to have to put a disposable nappy over the cloth one or the cot mattress was soaked. A couple of years later his younger sister came in the same nappies. She didn’t wee nearly as much and I don’t think she ever had a leaky nappy.

With children I’ve had since, it’s been a bit hit and miss. Some parents have used disposable liners (great for dirty nappies) and some haven’t (not so great when it’s a dirty nappy). Most have provide a bag to put the wet nappies in. I have to be honest, I’ve only noticed it getting smelly if the child wees a lot and the nappies are really soaked, or if it’s been a dirty nappy and there’s no liner.

I’ve had several parents who use cloth nappies at home but disposables when the child comes to me. I don’t think they like getting a bag of wet and dirty nappies back at the end of the day!

6. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse. That's given me a few questions to ask should the subject come up tomorrow. Really intersting.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

My own children were in cloth nappies but that was 30+ years ago . Where do the nappy liners go now when soiled? Toilet? Can remember the nappy bucket!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragonfly I remember my little brother and sister and my nephews and nieces being in cloth nappies too, and obviously everyone just got on with it. I remember the nappy bucket too! Then all the nappies hanging on the washing line!

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan and have had siblings through here with washables, so had years of using them. No problems at all. Also had washable wipes provided by one family, which I love love love! The washable nappy family provide a nappy bag (waterproof, zip, or roll-down-and-clip bag) and the dirty ones just go in there and sent home daily. They use all-in-one washables, so no separate covers etc. I wish all mine would use them. I hate disposables.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had paid more attention to my mum when she was changing my little brother and sister's nappies - everything was washable like you say Moggy.

Sorry to be really gross, but do you put the main contents of the nappy down the loo?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I wish I had paid more attention to my mum when she was changing my little brother and sister's nappies - everything was washable like you say Moggy.

Sorry to be really gross, but do you put the main contents of the nappy down the loo?
    Yes, tip any solids in to the toilet, or with a flushable liner you just drop that in the toilet.

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

See that all seems very good and I used the liners 34 years ago in terry nappies, but now I’m older and wiser I wouldn’t put anything down the loo apart from toilet paper. Even flushable liners, wipes etc.

18. Likes Maza liked this post