Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Funded childminders

How many of you do the funding? Do you think it worth being a funded Childminder? After 25 years of being a childminder I thought I’d give it a go. Wow, the paper work to become one is soooo off pointing, thinking about changing my mind! Convince me I shouldn’t give up !

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer funding. I cannot stand any sort of finance paperwork and so I'm going to avoid it forever if I possibly can.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that's a shame Dragonfly & Maza.

I don't really recall any paperwork! I have to sign a 'contract' every year to say that I offer funding etc, and then towards the end of each term, I need to give my 'estimated' funded hours for the next term, and then on a set date the following term, 'confirm' those hours ( they can go up or down if/as needed. but I can also amend my funded hours after this date !!! ). That is pretty much all I need to do to receive the funding.

When a child starts using funding, we have an 'agreement' form ( from LA ) they need to fill in and sign - it lists all funded hours, and where/when they are taken; to make sure families/settings are not over claiming for a child. We then need to see proof of Id for child - either birth certificate or passport, and that is it! If a child is taking the 30hrs funding ( and also i think for the 2 yr old funding ) we need parents NI number and details, But i don't offer the additional 15 hours to make up the 30hrs, as that does seem like an extra level of headache!

I like knowing I have a guaranteed payment each month ( ours comes monthly, and they work it out over the 12 mths of the year, but per term ... so in the Spring term, it is usually spread over 3 or 4 months, but the Summer term it is spread over 4/5 months ) It also keeps children with me, when they might have left for preschool, and can help out some families.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Next term all my under 5s will be claiming funding, last year it was a bonus being funded during lockdown as still got paid the funding even when the children couldn't come. The 2 year old funding pays way over my hourly rate so thats a bonus and 3/4 year old funding is now about 10p an hour more. We do have to provide a lot of paperwork when we first sign up for the funding agreement we have to sign a contract with the LA and provide copies of safeguarding/admissions/charging/complaints policy plus sample invoice. If they are not happy with any of the policy they will ask you to amend it. Once you have provided this the first year you only have to let them know if you have made any changes to your policies when you renew your contract which is always during the summer term. A few years ago they had a major overhaul re funding and thats when they introduced having to see policies and a lot of settings decided it was too much and have withdrawn providing funding. Every term parents fill in their funding form and we have to submit the hours claimed on to the portal. We get paid every month.
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie dust - out of interest why would they want to see your admissions policy? I've seen other childminders mention this too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've provided funding for years, pretty much since childminders were first allowed to offer funded hours.
    Back then it was a real pain to sign up for it. You had to apply to be on the LA childminding network, you had to attend a certain number of meetings a year and there was a LOT of paperwork to go with it. It wasn't computerised back them so everything had to be done on paper. Submitting claims was a nightmare and you were never sure you were actually paid the right amount!

Signing up now seems a doddle compared to that! The whole process, from signing up to claiming funding and being paid is very straight forward. Apart from the parental contracts, everything is pretty much done online and our LA funding staff are very helpful. There are a few conditions you have to agree, to like an annual audit, but as long as your records are up to date, there's no problem with that.

I think for most childminders it's easy as you're only dealing with a few funded children at a time. I imagine it's a lot more complicated for nurseries where there are lots of children starting and leaving throughout the year.

It's been a godsend through the pandemic when funding has been paid, even if children don't attend. The big downside for me is the rate our LA pays. It's quite a lot less per hour than I charge so I have to ask for a voluntary contribution for meals and consumables. All parents currently pay it, but they can provide their own food if they prefer not to pay.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Pixie dust - out of interest why would they want to see your admissions policy? I've seen other childminders mention this too.
    I think the admissions policy applies more to nurseries where they do tend to have one. They want to know the nursery is being fair and not putting unfair conditions in place regarding funding. I don't have an admissions policy and have never been asked for one. If you google "nursery admissions policy" you'll find examples. They can be quite long and cover all sorts of things like how places are allocated, which doesn't really apply to childminders.

10. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a funding policy ... that says I offer either 3 or 6 hour sessions during school hours, and that a session fee will be payable to cover resources, consumables, meals, snacks etc.
    I also say that at my discretion and in line with a place being available, then the session fee may be waived. However, it's very rare for me to have a purely funded space available. ( mainly because the majority of my children are already with me when they start to use funding! And generally use more than their funded hours. Also, if a child is already with me, then I am more flexible in what hours etc funding can be used!)

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had to fill in so many forms it’s been unbelievable. And telephone meetings with LA to help me.All very confusing head counts? Paff forms .Not given up yet but I wonder why I bothered to start!

Having a child already with you Loocyloo is better for fitting in and being flexible as you can do continuity of care on a different day I expect?

Haven’t heard of a admissions policy?

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think the admissions policy applies more to nurseries where they do tend to have one. They want to know the nursery is being fair and not putting unfair conditions in place regarding funding. I don't have an admissions policy and have never been asked for one. If you google "nursery admissions policy" you'll find examples. They can be quite long and cover all sorts of things like how places are allocated, which doesn't really apply to childminders.

Unfortunately our LA requires one if you provide funding...It has to include a statement about funding/hours/how many weeks per year etc there is a whole list of what they expect to see included in your policy and doesn't matter if you are a childminder or nursery. It a paper exercise that no parents has ever asked to see.
    Pixie Dust

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Unfortunately our LA requires one if you provide funding...It has to include a statement about funding/hours/how many weeks per year etc there is a whole list of what they expect to see included in your policy and doesn't matter if you are a childminder or nursery. It a paper exercise that no parents has ever asked to see.
    What a shame. We do have to give that sort of information, but it's on a form they give us to fill in. It asks the questions so you just fill in the answers.

17. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Dragonfly, that sounds a nightmare!

Do you have a local childminder friend who offers funding who could assist with exactly what your LA want?
    XX

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes , there is a Childminder who could help thank you, I have been in touch with her.

I do have to have a funded statement about hours open, how many weeks a year open etc.
    Got my password etc for the ‘ portal’ this week will try to log onto that Friday.

I’m not one to give up easily but as I’m not computer friendly it’s been a real struggle. If I was sent all the forms and posted them back it would of probably been easier.

I’ll get there, but don’t be surprised if you get more questions !

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post