Children with runny noses
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children with runny noses

What are you all doing about children with runny noses? Are you excluding them?

I've got 2 who have got runny noses at the moment. They're both perfectly fine apart from that - no temperature, eating & drinking as normal, playing happily.

We were talking in our local online group last night and one of the childminders said she's excluding children if they have a runny nose. A few agreed and said they would as well. I thought I'd read somewhere that if a child has a runny nose (or some other symptoms, but not the main covid ones) you can suggest parents might get them tested, but you can't insist on it or exclude the child. Now I don't know where I read it.

What are you all doing?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A slight runny nose I'm dealing with, but constant thick snotty nose i have already told parents will need testing! I've also said they will arrive without a snotty nose, but if it starts during the day and I consider it 'excessive', then I will be asking them to collect and test ... for ALL of our safety ... everyone agreed, but I haven't had to put it into practice yet!

3. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

A child a playgroup had a runny nose they got child collected so I was a bit ah what do I do if they start coming with runny noses. I keep hearing so many different symptoms of covid don’t know if true or not . On NHS web site still temp, continuous cough, loss taste/ smell.

Think as you say big runny nose keep away, runny nose as you have been out in cold then came into warm stay.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so hard to know what to do for the best.

These 2 children both had runny noses, but nothing bad. I probably didn't wipe their noses more than half a dozen times over the whole day and it wasn't thick snot!

But then at home time of of the mum's mentioned that she'd started with a cold & that dad already had one. I did say they ought to do covid tests, but they're not going to as they haven't got any of the main symptoms. They've got an older child at primary school, so they could do the lateral flow tests but aren't going to as they don't want to get a positive test and have to isolate!! I reminded her that I didn't have any of the normal symptoms when I had covid and still tested positive, but she said they'll only test if they get a cough or a temperature. I have to be honest, I don't think they'll even do that. I've got a feeling even if they did get symptoms they'd just not say anything and will carry on as normal. Unless they turn up at the door with obvious symptoms, how would I even know?

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's so hard to know what to do for the best.

These 2 children both had runny noses, but nothing bad. I probably didn't wipe their noses more than half a dozen times over the whole day and it wasn't thick snot!

But then at home time of of the mum's mentioned that she'd started with a cold & that dad already had one. I did say they ought to do covid tests, but they're not going to as they haven't got any of the main symptoms. They've got an older child at primary school, so they could do the lateral flow tests but aren't going to as they don't want to get a positive test and have to isolate!! I reminded her that I didn't have any of the normal symptoms when I had covid and still tested positive, but she said they'll only test if they get a cough or a temperature. I have to be honest, I don't think they'll even do that. I've got a feeling even if they did get symptoms they'd just not say anything and will carry on as normal. Unless they turn up at the door with obvious symptoms, how would I even know?
    oooo MOUSE.

I pressed 'LIKE' but really, I wanted to go for you! one of my mums was tested at work ( she is a nurse ) and was positive ... all she had was a runny nose! Her child had been here the week before with a thick snotty nose ... but this was way back in the early days! I did wonder if I'd had it, and been asymptomatic, but I've had my blood tested for antibodies for a study, and i'm negative, so I haven't had it!

Last September asked all parents to sign a 'covid' health declaration to say they understood all the symptoms/rules etc, and had been/would be following them. I am thinking of re-issuing, and mentioning the use of LFT and saying something about it being for everyone's benefit.

That 30 minutes waiting for the Lf result is the worst 30 minutes there is!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had covid I obviously closed and all the children had to isolate. What I didn’t realise until recently was that the older sibling in that family still went to school, despite having been here until the day before I got my positive test!! She was only ever here for a maximum of 15 minutes, but that didn’t matter, she should have isolated.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to do an updated letter this weekend. I just need to decide how to word it!

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I’m going to do an updated letter this weekend. I just need to decide how to word it!
    That's the tricky part! Wording it so it applies to everyone, even if you are trying to get point across to one family in particular.
    Good luck xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the dads phoned me this morning to say his son wouldn't be coming today as he wasn't well. Apparently he'd been fine until bed time, but had a rough night. This morning he'd been sick, wouldn't eat or drink and was just lying on the sofa. He also had a temperature, but dad insisted it was just a cold.
    I said a temperature is one of the covid symptoms so I have to follow procedure and the child will be excluded for 10 days or until they have a negative test result, especially considering their other symptoms.

Mum then messaged me a couple of hours later to say "temperature back to normal. Panic over...phew! X is fine apart from a blocked nose so we'll see you on Monday." I replied saying 10 days exclusion still applies, but I haven't heard back from them. Knowing the dad, in particular, he'll be trawling the internet for proof that X can return on Monday

Now I'm questioning myself, although I know I'm right!

13. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of the dads phoned me this morning to say his son wouldn't be coming today as he wasn't well. Apparently he'd been fine until bed time, but had a rough night. This morning he'd been sick, wouldn't eat or drink and was just lying on the sofa. He also had a temperature, but dad insisted it was just a cold.
    I said a temperature is one of the covid symptoms so I have to follow procedure and the child will be excluded for 10 days or until they have a negative test result, especially considering their other symptoms.

Mum then messaged me a couple of hours later to say "temperature back to normal. Panic over...phew! X is fine apart from a blocked nose so we'll see you on Monday." I replied saying 10 days exclusion still applies, but I haven't heard back from them. Knowing the dad, in particular, he'll be trawling the internet for proof that X can return on Monday

Now I'm questioning myself, although I know I'm right!
    Oh goodness. Stay firm! ... unless they test and it's negative, then they can return! I get that testing is not 'full but surely it's the quickest way 'out' .. only problem will be, if it's negative they'll try it on next time!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right. It’s so hard as we work on our own there’s nobody to back us up. Stick to what you said or they will try it on again as said by loocyloo.