Communication style - am I old fashioned?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Communication style - am I old fashioned?

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for any inquiry regarding childcare, but recently I seem to be getting more and more which are done in as few words as possible, as if they are sending a quick text to their partner.

I've had a few which simply say 'Do you have space for a three year old?' - no please or thank you, let alone any information on days, times, starting dates etc. I just find it so rude and it immediately puts me off wanting to work with them. Where has etiquette gone?

2. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had one this morning - wot do u charge for 2 days? I had to reply with a list of questions, how old, which days, what hours etc. The chances are I haven't got the space anyway so knowing my fees is a bit irrelevant! I'm not worried about text talk in messages as I know that's what a lot of people use these days, but a bit more information would be helpful.

Then one I had yesterday was - how much is it for school drop off? No mention of the school they need, the age of the child, the days, the times needed. I don't do school drop offs so it's not something I'd do anyway, but with a bit more information I can pass their details on to a childminder who can help. As it was, I was busy yesterday and didn't have time to get into a question and answer session, so I just replied "sorry, I don't do school drop offs".

4. Likes loocyloo, Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Drives me insane!

I get random texts or emails with 'how much for 3 yr old' 'i need a childminder' etc. I usually reply asking age/ days/ hours etc, but don't always get a reply.
    Then you have the parent that you tell that you are full, and have no spaces and are not anticipating any till September 21... who messages you 2 weeks later saying 'do you have space now? I only need an hour' ... no, I still don't!
    Or my personal bug bear .... the person who rings your mobile and landline several times in quick succession, but NEVER leaves a message. This continues for a few days and eventually, sends a Facebook message saying 'I need childcare'.

A while back, one of my mums bumped into an aquaintance of hers, with her baby, and in conversation, baby's mum said baby was starting with me. 'My' mum mentioned it to me .... I had no idea who this mother was ... I'd had no contact at all from her (and no spaces!) A few weeks later this mother rang and said 'I'm bringing X for her first day tomorrow' .... I had to say, who? And no, sorry, it doesn't work like that!
    Apparently because baby was so small, I could just 'squeeze' them in!

The people that call/text/email asking politely about childcare are much more likely to get a response from me, and be offered a space if I have one!

6. Likes Maza, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

A while back, one of my mums bumped into an aquaintance of hers, with her baby, and in conversation, baby's mum said baby was starting with me. 'My' mum mentioned it to me .... I had no idea who this mother was ... I'd had no contact at all from her (and no spaces!) A few weeks later this mother rang and said 'I'm bringing X for her first day tomorrow' .... I had to say, who? And no, sorry, it doesn't work like that!
    Apparently because baby was so small, I could just 'squeeze' them in!
    That's hilarious!!

A long time ago I had a man and child turn at my door. He asked if I was 'the childminder' and wanted to leave his child with me. I said I was sorry, but it didn't work like that and I couldn't take his child. Apparently he'd been knocking on doors asking if they were the childminder!! One of the neighbours pointed him in my direction.
    I later found out that the child normally went to another childminder who lived near me. She was going on holiday and had mentioned a childminder round the corner (me) might be able to help with holiday cover if he needed it. He hadn't ever asked her for my details or mentioned it again so she assumed he'd arranged something else. He'd presumably assumed he could just bring the child to me, without even knowing my name or where I lived

8. Likes loocyloo, Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's hilarious!!

A long time ago I had a man and child turn at my door. He asked if I was 'the childminder' and wanted to leave his child with me. I said I was sorry, but it didn't work like that and I couldn't take his child. Apparently he'd been knocking on doors asking if they were the childminder!! One of the neighbours pointed him in my direction.
    I later found out that the child normally went to another childminder who lived near me. She was going on holiday and had mentioned a childminder round the corner (me) might be able to help with holiday cover if he needed it. He hadn't ever asked her for my details or mentioned it again so she assumed he'd arranged something else. He'd presumably assumed he could just bring the child to me, without even knowing my name or where I lived

Excellent!!!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your not alone Maza, I had a message via my Facebook page last week that said "don't spose you have a space yet ?' this is a mum from school that every now again asks about spaces but I know they have been through nearly every nursery in town so I won't be taking them on! I rarely get phonecalls now its mainly through my work Facebook page or email.
    Pixie Dust

11. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for any inquiry regarding childcare, but recently I seem to be getting more and more which are done in as few words as possible, as if they are sending a quick text to their partner.

I've had a few which simply say 'Do you have space for a three year old?' - no please or thank you, let alone any information on days, times, starting dates etc. I just find it so rude and it immediately puts me off wanting to work with them. Where has etiquette gone?
    Oh god I hate this too and have a few of these. I'm more cautious now with who I will engage in a chat with because these lines of enquiry never come to much good!

13. Likes Maza liked this post