Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Boiler issue !

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boiler issue !

Hi does anyone know if there is guidance about no heating/hot water as our boiler decided to spring a leak yesterday so currently have no heating or hot water. We have someone coming out to have a look today but if they can't fix it today( I am thinking they may need to order a spare part) I am trying to find out re having to close and its always handy to have the official guidance to quote to parents especially after having been closed for Christmas.
    Pixie Dust

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There are settings that operate outdoors all day whatever the weather, so it's not a problem in term of the children and childcare. There is guidance about staff and working conditions, but if you work alone it is up to you - HSE - Temperature: What the Law says
    Can you get hold of any electric heaters? Or wrap up warm and carry on, or go outdoors for the day?
    Can you heat water for handwashing? I guess it just a case of risk assess and decide if it is worth opening.
    I hope you get it sorted out soon!

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no Pixie ...

Hope it can be fixed easily, or at least temporarily.

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do these things always happen at the most inconvenient times?

I don’t know of any official guidance that applies to childminders so I would guess it’s up to you to decide if it’s practical to open.

How many children will you have? Can you heat the house any other way? Can you provide sufficient hot water for the day?

When our boiler broke I had to keep boiling the kettle for hot water and using cooled water for hand washing. Luckily it was in the summer so we didn’t need the heating anyway.

Fingers crossed you can get it fixed quickly.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone ! As I couldn't find anything about it I wasn't sure if there was a legal requirement about minimum temperatures etc but like you have mentioned outdoor setting don't have heating or running hot water!

Someone has been to look today and said they need to order a new part which they can't do until Monday morning but thankfully they have said we can still use it even though its leaking. Fingers crossed it won't take too long and not too costly either ! DH and I sat here this morning talking about when we were growing up how we didn't have central heating just a fire in the lounge but now its something most of us have!
    Pixie Dust

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I would borrow some heaters. I grew up in the 60’s with no central heating but children are used to warm houses nowadays. even though at the present time your house should be well ventilated, think it may be touch cold with no heating, well the way my mindees come dressed there houses must be very warm!

Do these out door nurseries not have a tent or anything against the elements?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just looked at one London out door nursery as I was intrigued. Come lunchtime sometimes they go back to the cafe for a hot lunch other times they have a picnic!

10. Likes Pixie dust liked this post