How many to care for?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many to care for?

How many little ones do you look after? I would happily look after as many 3 or 4 year olds as I can but I have mostly under 3's who cant walk distances, still need naps, get tired and grouchy easily, still have lots of tantrums etc and I find more than 2 at any one time HARD work!! But i could make so much more if i took more on. How do you manage 3 under 3...buggys, walks, lifting in/out car etc? I also think the level of care i provide goes down the more kids i look after at one time!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always have 3x ages 0-3 (often only 0-2yrs) at a time. 0-2yrs is my favourite age! I have nearly-2yr-olds who walk nearly a mile there and back (takes 35 min each way) to get to places with me. We build up to it and do it every week, so they manage well, it is expected and part of our routine. But I also have double buggy + buggy board. My car easily fits all the seats, has easy access and fits double buggy in boot easily, but I only use car about once a week. I do not do school runs, so that makes it easy as they can all have long naps in the afternoon. I think it comes down to being very organised, have a good daily routine, getting them all into the same sleep routines, and keep it simple - little ones do not need masses of organised activities. But if it doesn't work for you, then stick with the older ones!
    Last edited by moggy; 05-12-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ideally, I like to have some busy days and some quieter days. On the busy days, I mostly would stay home and do extended play in the garden where you get out all the resources, well planned activities outdoors etc. Then on the quieter days I would venture further afield for our outdoor time - parks, woods etc. If we did go into the garden as well on those days it would be for a free play type of thing with everyday resources that are easy to grab from the shed or wherever.

Two walking toddlers is lovely because you have a hand for each of them and it's quite relaxing all going for a walk and chatting as you go.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer to only have 2 that need a buggy, but if I have 3, I have an easy rider seat that clips on the back like a buggy board.

I train mine to walk ASAP and they learn to hold hands and walk with me/each other.

I have enough room in my car for all the seats, and room for everyone to sleep at home in travel cots . I use highchairs until about 15/18 mths until I feel they are ready to sit on a little chair, at the little table.

I aim to have everyone in the same routine, and like Moggy, keep it simple. We do go out and about a fair bit, but it's just down to be organised and prepared.

I frequently seem to have 4 under 4 - Mine seem to chop and change days like the wind!