Stained glass door
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stained glass door

We have recently moved to a completely new area so I've had a few months off childminding to get some decorating and DIY done to the house. I'm hoping to start up again in January. We are in a 1930s house and have an internal porch door which is original to the house and has stained glass in it. It's definitely not safety glass and because of the texture there is no way I can put safety film on it. It's quite low level so a possible risk. I know in my old house my pre-reg inspector in 2015 was very keen on safety film on low level glass doors although at my grading inspection in 2017 the inspector didn't mention anything. Does anyone have any ideas that do not involve replacing the door (which I don't want to do) to make it a safer? Thanks!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just recently added safety film to some internal doors of mine after being told to at my last inspection (no children on roll). So, yes, I think they are pretty hot on safety film like you say. Is it a window that children have to walk past? Could they use another entrance? Could you put some furniture in front of it? If there is absolutely nothing you can do, then all you can say is that the children will be strictly supervised in that area, no running etc.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe insert a sheet of perspex, cut to size? Could ask a glass/window shop for advice. But supervision, controlling other factors (ie- have rules such as no running in that area, no throwing, no ball games etc) and making an assessment of the level of risk is important too. Also, if they are small pieces of glass set in the lead edging, then it is not likely to all shatter into sharp pieces like a normal pane of glass - can't tell without seeing it, but try to imagine how it would break if it was hit? It might not be such high risk?

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Maza and Moggy. It's reassuring to read your replies as I've been talking it through with my husband who has no idea what Ofsted may say!

I was thinking about having the door always open and putting a shoe rack in front - I think it's needs to be open/or easy to open as it's a fire exit. The children will definitely need to walk past it so I am definitely going to have rules such as no running or ball games. It is small pieces of glass so if one breaks it shouldn't cause lots of glass to shatter. Thanks again, I'll risk assess and do my best!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Every inspector is different and I’ve found not 2 inspections are the same . I’d risk assess it . I shouldn’t think the front door is a play area. When using the door with children stay firm with the no running etc in that area.

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Every inspector is different and I’ve found not 2 inspections are the same . I’d risk assess it . I shouldn’t think the front door is a play area. When using the door with children stay firm with the no running etc in that area.
    Thanks Dragonfly.