Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face What's the latest on daily diaries?

Does anyone still do daily diaries for the kids to take home? I used to quite enjoy doing them, the parents loved them and I found them to be useful reminders of what we had done.

I know we are meant to be reducing the stuff we have going back and forth from setting to home. I wouldn't find doing it electronically as convenient, but obviously I will if that's the way forward.

What do you all do?

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'm still doing them but only for under 2 year olds only one piece of paper so don't think that makes much difference. I have only ever done for this age group as sometimes it was hard remembering who had how many/dirty nappies, who slept when/how long, and who ate what, when we had more than one under 2!

3. Likes Dragonfly, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped doing daily diaries a few years ago.

When I was inspected several years ago the inspector asked why I did them (she was having a moan at me for having too much paperwork.) I said parents liked to read about what their children were doing each day and she said "don't you talk to them then?" I said they liked to see photos as well, so she said find a different way of sharing pictures that doesn't take up so much time. I didn't want to agree with the inspector (we didn't hit it off!), but I could see she had a point so I gradually phased them out.

For babies I had been doing them daily and then as the child got older I would start doing them weekly. It was OK when I only had a couple of children here, but once I had more it became impossible to get them done on time. I switched to monthly, but even that became a chore and I'd often find myself behind with them.

Since I stopped doing them I've had several younger siblings of children who used to have diaries. I wondered if parents would expect them for the younger siblings because they'd had them for their older children, but none have ever even mentioned them!

Once I stopped doing diaries I started using WhatsApp. I've cut back even more now and just use my FB business page. I blank out faces but parents message me if they want the original picture of their child.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    Yes I'm still doing them but only for under 2 year olds only one piece of paper so don't think that makes much difference. I have only ever done for this age group as sometimes it was hard remembering who had how many/dirty nappies, who slept when/how long, and who ate what, when we had more than one under 2!
    I didn't use mine to record nappies, sleep or food. Mine were a round up of what we'd done during the day with any funny quotes from the child, any new achievements etc. It's no wonder they took me so long to write!

7. Likes Dragonfly, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I still do them every day. Most parents like them, others you find in the bag untouched.

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I still do them every day. Most parents like them, others you find in the bag untouched.
    Same here. One mum I've taken to saying 'it's in the diary, I can't remember off hand' ! As she always asks for a rundown on the day, so at the moment with limited time / other parents waiting it's useful.

I find them useful to look back over myself!

I use an A5 ringbinder folder and put a new sheet in each day. Then, if folder is forgotten, I can still send a sheet home. I didn't use folders over lock down but parents added the sheets at home. I also have a couple of plastic wallets at the back to put notes/ medical forms/ any other bits and pieces, plus have a sheet for parents to write me notes. Some do and some don't !

I thought about doing them online, but I write faster than I type and I have been writing them so long, it's no bother!

I tend to write a brief synopsis of the day, from the child's perspective and try to mention something particular child has said or done. I write them until child is only coming after school!

11. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When lockdown started I switched from handwritten to online as I use the Tapestry online journals anyway and have found parents read that more than they did the written ones....Its not too bad once you get used to it plus I only have to type some things once and it can be written in all diaries at the same time meals etc.
    Pixie Dust

13. Likes Maza liked this post