Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 24U

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 24U

I've never offered funding before, none of my families used/requested it, so I never looked into it.

I've had an enquiry about them today and it got me thinking. Do you offer 24U? Is it straightforward? I always had the impression that they were a bit of a headache to use.

Thanks in advance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Different LAs have different names for it, but I'm assuming it's the 2 year old funding?

I've offered funding, both 2 year old and 3&4 year old funding for a few years and have never really had any problems. Everything is processed online and I've always managed to complete the forms, although I know some people struggle. Our LA is very good to help anyone who's having problems.

There are some definite advantages, such as the rate paid being more than my usual fee. And during this covid time, funding has been paid even if we've been closed and children haven't attended.

One of the main issues I've had is the reliability of parents. As they're not paying anything for care they're not always reliable. They might not bring the child or they might leave without warning. They don't always seem as invested as they're not financially liable for their child's place.

I had one child who came on the 2 year old funding. It was stretched funding so they came for 12 hours a week. Sometimes mum just didn't bring him, her time keeping wasn't brilliant and she emailed me one day to say he'd got a place at nursery and wasn't coming back. Luckily our LA had a 4 week notice period in place at the time, so I could claim that, but they've removed that now. It means if a child leaves without notice, funding stops immediately and you have to pay back anything you've already received for the rest of the term.

But then I had another child on 2 year old funding - 15 hours a week funded with another 13 hours paid for. Mum was always great - arrived on time, paid the additional hours fees on time. Because she worked she needed her child to come, so she was serious about having the space.
    The only disadvantage with that child was that when they went on to 3 year old funding, the LA payment dropped by almost £1 an hour.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse.

Yes, it's the two year funding - I didn't even realise it had different names in different LAs.

That's really interesting food for thought.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer the funding and like mouse says the 2 year old rate is above my hourly rate, with my LA parents fill in a termly form and we just input hours on to the portal quite straight forward. You do have to be registered with them to accept funding and we have to sign an agreement every year with the county, they have a few terms and conditions which you have to meet but every area is different. it definitely was a bonus getting paid the funding over Covid lockdown. We get paid monthly but I know everywhere does it differently some get a percentage up front and the rest at the end of the term. I think its worth looking at especially if it will help you get those first few families in the door!
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes Maza liked this post