Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Termination of contract

Hi All,

I have a contract that is ending just before Christmas, I am not sure what the rules are with learning journeys, are they still the childminders property to keep for files, do you have to give them to the parents as it now belongs to them, or do you need to pass on to the new setting, what should I do?

Many thanks Emma

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

They go to the parents as it's their property. then it's up to them to give it to the next setting.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    They go to the parents as it's their property. then it's up to them to give it to the next setting.
    thats great, thanks for the info.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Learning journeys are not the client's property, unless the CM has previously signed over the rights to them by verbal/written promise, contract or other agreement. So, strictly speaking, you don’t have to pass them on.

But, consider the following.....

We are required to pass on some form of transition document for the child's next setting. Depending on how it is written, the LJ can be an effective way to do this without making more work for yourself.

The LJ almost certainly contains 'sensitive data' under GDPR, so you would have to be able to justify retaining it. Failing that, you would write a simple transition document for the next settting, then destroy the LJ.

There’s seldom any good reason not to give it to the parents, but IIRC there has been the odd case raised on this forum, such as holding back an LJ until the client settles the final payment.

Learning records of ex mindees are of limited use. As a rule, Ofsted inspectres are only interested in records pertaining to current mindees. That said, I’ve held duplicate copies (with consent) for children who’ve left to start school, then persuaded inspectres to look at them, since it’s a good way to demonstrate school readiness, assisting transition and partnership working with Year R.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see no reason not to give them to the parent then if they are moving on to another setting they have a record if what they can do.

Ofsted will rarely look at them in fairness so will other settings. I always hand them over to the parent less for me to store.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Why hold onto them? Give them to the parents.one less folder on the shelf!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got to thinking, since there’s another thread running at the moment about online records.......

If you’re using online journals like Tapestry, and a child leaves, how do you give the journal/records to the family and/or new setting?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I got to thinking, since there’s another thread running at the moment about online records.......

If you’re using online journals like Tapestry, and a child leaves, how do you give the journal/records to the family and/or new setting?
    You can allow parents or new setting to download pdf of LJ, then they can print if they wish or store.
    New settings using Tapestry can import the LJ and then carry on using so they get a continuous journal from one setting to the next.
    During transition, or during shared-care, you can have the keyperson from other setting access the Tapestry journal too, to view or add to.

9. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    You can allow parents or new setting to download pdf of LJ, then they can print if they wish or store.
    New settings using Tapestry can import the LJ and then carry on using so they get a continuous journal from one setting to the next.
    During transition, or during shared-care, you can have the keyperson from other setting access the Tapestry journal too, to view or add to.
    Thank you for the information.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected bunyip. That's news to me as I did think they belonged to the parents and if we kept them we were in the wrong!