Collecting from a school miles away
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Collecting from a school miles away

Posting for a CM who doesn't do forums.

She has her normal after school fee, however she's been approached about pick up from a school which is a 15.2 mile return journey (by car) three times a week. What should she charge on top of her normal after school rate? They have also asked if she can drop off in the morning but she's not sure she can do that.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She really wants to do that? Maybe just a higher hourly rate, or charge from the time she leaves home to cover the journey time? She'll need to weigh up the risk of her car ever being out of action, snow etc. and how it would effect other mindees. Will she be driving other mindees with her, what would parents think of that?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh that's a big commitment to take on. Has she really sat down and thought it through? Will she have lo's with her in the car? Will their parents be informed? What if they nap on the journey and parents can't settle them each evening then complaints will start coming in. Will she be providing an evening meal to all the children once she gets back after the journey? Has she thought how she's going to prepare that for all the different collection times, nappy changes etc. I would decline it. If she gets stuck in traffic etc she will be very stressed. But all her families should be informed. I know the parents I have would not want their child in a car for that journey after a day stuck in school. With regard to price I'd suggest she charges as must as she wants as I think it's a big commitment.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She can charge whatever she wants, just like any other self-employed trader providing a service. Likewise, the client can accept or decline accordingly.

I agree with previous contributors that she needs to 5hink seriously about the likely problems. This could upset current clients and put off potential future ones. She also needs to allow for the worst possible traffic. This mum will very quickl6 turn on her if the child is left standing at school, no matter that it’s not her fault. Late/failed collections will put a very large dent in her reputation too.