Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waste Disposal Information

I know this came up a few years ago, but I wondered if anyone had any recent experience of it.

I have just received a (very wordy) letter from the council asking me to produce information about business related waste that I produced between August 2016 and August 2018. They give an example of nappies, clinical waste, packaging and food waste. Fortunately I wasn't childminding during this period and so I don't have to work anything out. I have sent an email saying so, and I hope that is enough! If I didn't respond within 14 days then it would have resulted in an automatic fine of £300!

Has anybody else had to deal with this? Is it a borough specific thing?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Haven't received anything like that yet here, but..... I do think it's only a matter of time.
    Council budgets are being slashed left, right and centre, so I personally believe they're going to start targeting small businesses that they are 'aware of' to charge, so they can start picking up the shortfall.
    Due to the fact that we're unable to 'hide' that we are a business due to LA & Food Agency requirements, we're a sitting target really

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is something they are bringing in as I know childminders in my area have been told at recent food inspection visits that they need to have some form of waste management in place either a waste carriers licence which means you then take your rubbish to the local tip or you arrange a contract with a company to come and take your waste away either way its another added expense. I personally do not fill my bins as it with my waste.

I do think it depends on your local borough council.
    Pixie Dust

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would take all the chemicals out of nappies and then we could burn them in a garden incinerator - would rather have a pile of ash than a mountain of nappies that take 100 + years to decompose.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have to pay for a business waste bin. It's a normal wheelie bin but red and it's £55 a year
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Business waste bin

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh Fussy, sorry you have to pay that.

That would be very awkward for childminders in flats who have communal bin spaces. Can't see the other flat owners being happy with that.

Apparently our council has decided not to enforce it now for childminders, although I still haven't had a letter/email confirming it.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not even going to ask my local council or L.A. ... don't want to give them ideas

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of nurseries/preschools in my area bag all nappies and send them home with parents! I can’t help wondering how many must drop them in street litter bins before they reach the car. Ultimately the council collects the nappies from somebody’s bin, so what’s the difference?

Personally I think every CM facing these charges should make it perfectly clear to clients on their bills.

My borough made a big announcement they would not be increasing our council tax. So we were all surprised when we got bills in March that were higher than last year. The council continued to insist they had not increased the council tax, and referred disgruntled enquirers to the breakdown which showed the increase was entirely due to the elements payable for the police, fire service, parish council, and other contributions.

I can’t help thinking we should use the same approach. 'Not' raise our fees, but charge parents an extra 50p per hour, with a note on the invoice to show this is due to borough bin collection costs; county council training costs; the cost of running Whitehall's 'free' childcare hours; admin hours for the government's GDPR fiasco, etc, etc, etc........

12. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did wonder if people, like you say Bunyip, would just send home used nappies with parents. Where on earth would you store them until collection though?! Yes, parents would probably put them in the local over flowing public bin. Even if they didn't, most families live in the same borough as their childminder/nursery and so, as you say, the nappies would be collected by the same refuse collectors anyway.

Anyway, I've got an envelope, three sheets of paper and a leaflet to add to my recycling bin now, as has every other childminder in my borough, from the council telling me about this waste disposal plan which was then scrapped a few days later. Who is monitoring their waste and impact on the environment?

14. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Gosh Fussy, sorry you have to pay that.

That would be very awkward for childminders in flats who have communal bin spaces. Can't see the other flat owners being happy with that.

Apparently our council has decided not to enforce it now for childminders, although I still haven't had a letter/email confirming it.
    That's good news for childminders in your area I hope our local area follows suit and decides not to enforce it.
    Pixie Dust

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am on my soap box... the other day we discovered that a fox had once again brought a soiled nappy into our garden and tore it apart, leaving all the soiled wipes scattered over the garden. Why oh why can't they just tear it up in the garden where they found it instead of bringing it to mine?

18. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    While I am on my soap box... the other day we discovered that a fox had once again brought a soiled nappy into our garden and tore it apart, leaving all the soiled wipes scattered over the garden. Why oh why can't they just tear it up in the garden where they found it instead of bringing it to mine?
    You,ve clearly created a wonderful ambiance.

20. Likes Maza liked this post