How do you do your receipts?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you do your receipts?

As the title says, how do you do your receipts?

I've never really handed them out before but one family has had their benefits changed to Universal Credit and needs to provide receipts for payments. Obviously I've got no problem at all with that, but I want to avoid a situation where I hand them over, only for parents to come back months/years later and say they need copies.

So far I've set up a template on my computer that I can fill in, print off, sign and hand to parents. I'd then save the completed form on my computer. My idea is that if parents want a copy I can just email it to them and they can print it off themselves, but then it wouldn't have my signature on it. Would it be better to scan the signed receipts and save those?

How do you do yours?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the pacey childminder receipt book, parents get the top copy and I keep the duplicate one in the book.
    Pixie Dust

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Old fashioned duplicate receipt book from a stationers.

4. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i give parents a printed slip with date/amount etc on it, and signed by me.

i write the date & amount paid in my attendence register, on the childs page, so if needed, i could copy that.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used an online software.

I clicked a button and invoice was sent, then I clicked a paid button once received in my account. This automatically went in to the income section which made it easy for tax return. It put it onto a data sheet so easy to see how much I had earned each week/ month/ year from each family and all families.

No parent asked me for them again, but The invoices were all there to be resent if necessary and a summary sheet.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

It sounds as if my way will be OK.

Up until now if parents wanted payment confirmation for tax credits, I just sent a letter listing the payments and dates. That's always been accepted before but I know universal credit claims are asking for receipts on headed paper, original copies not photocopies etc. I had a letter when mum's claim was being processed telling me I had to send the original contract, invoices and receipts, no copies. I wrote back, enclosing copies, telling them why I wasn't sending originals. Luckily they accepted it to approve the claim, but now receipts have to be sent monthly and i don't want a claim being refused because I've given mum the wrong thing. I've told her to scan or take photos of everything I give her in case they want the info again at some point, so hopefully she won't ever come back to me for copies!

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I use the pacey childminder receipt book, parents get the top copy and I keep the duplicate one in the book.
    I do exactly this. As you’ll see in my recent thread, I still get parents who request duplicates because they don’t care about this sort of thing until they need them for a claim/spot check, then suddenly go into panic mode and expect me to jump.

Following excellent advice from the kind members of this forum, I am introducing charges for when clients request duplicates. It’s a shame, but I’m finding people often won’t take responsibility for themselves until you make it theirproblem, by means of a hefty charge.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have started using Wave - an online invoicing system - and it is saving me so much time.

it auto generates receipts when I tell it that parents have paid

11. Likes Mouse liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my invoices on a spreadsheet and email it to the parents - I don't do a receipt, if I don't chase them for the money it means they paid.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I do my invoices on a spreadsheet and email it to the parents - I don't do a receipt, if I don't chase them for the money it means they paid.
    Same here.

Payment is either the same every week, as set out in the contract, or I send a monthly invoice if the amount varies. Parents pay straight into my bank account, so there's a record there.

It's only now that Universal Credits are asking for receipts every month that I need to start doing them.