Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Summer Holiday ideas

hello!

just thinking about what activities etc we can do over the summer holidays, i thought it might help us all if we listed ideas, and then, we will never be stuck for something to do

I have days out to the beach/woods etc planned, where we just see how the day takes us and what we do. I keep a box in the boot of the car with buckets/spades/balls/vehicles/small world bits/ paper&crayons/'Forest school' ( Rope/string/pegs, magnifying glasses, peelers, bug pots etc ) bits in, so we dig out what we need each time.

We also want to revisit all the local castles ( i have English Heritage membership so up to 6 children go free )

I have a plan that next week i am going to empty all the hideyholes that i store craft bits in, and all the unfinished/half sets etc of 'STUFF' are going to be put in a big tray for USING UP! i always forget what i have got, and buy more, so the stash just gets bigger and bigger
    i don't particularly have any set craft activities in mind, although i did buy a cheap set of 'make your own' people keyrings in asda the other day, so i think we will do those as a 'going back to school' activity.

At home i am planning days playing ALL the board games and doing ALL the puzzles! Mass Duplo creations and to see how big a marble run we can make ( i have a super set of wooden marble run blocks, and am thinking we can add cardboard tubes etc ) ... this is in case we get REALLY rainy days. (usually i go out in the rain regardless) Any other ideas for indoor activities?

The only 'organised' outing that will cost me an entrance fee is to a local Maize Maze - but once there, there is so much to do, we can easily be there all day. The children want to go to Flamingoland - BUT as a couple are now over 4, sadly we won't be going, unless parents want to pay for a full price day entry that we will only use about 3, maybe 4 hours of!

2. Likes ziggy, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How old are the children loocyloo. I find the hardest thing in the holidays is getting the balance right keeping the babies and the older children engaged.
    They don’t know it yet but my twin 5 year olds will be making cardboard trainers which I’ll thread with laces for serious summer holiday practice ...they come in the most beautiful completely impractical footwear daily...they need to learn to do it themselves and countless suggestions have fallen on deaf parental ears!!
    Other indoors stuff , collaborative art project with a big canvas they can paint glue and generally layer up with whatever art processes take their fancy. Lots of loose parts construction ( destruction for my littlest!) .
    Mine will spend the majority of their time outside whatever the weather so I seriously cut down what I have indoors at this time of year. We are going to rebrand our playhouse grocery store as a library and the children will get involved in that , visit the village library and design our own , what do we need in it , choose books , make signs , find “stuff” to make scanners , stampers etc
    The usual sand and water play , just ordered a ton of sand to top up our natural sand area ready for the holidays.

What a shame they’re too big now for flamingo land. So frustrating having that amazing resource on your doorstep and not being able to use it! ( although it’s much nicer when it’s quiet in term time!)

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine will mainly be 18mths to 5 yrs ( a 'young' 5 though ... so going to be doing lots of school stuff ) I'm quite sorted for ideas... in fact, my problem is usually fitting it all in!

I have a couple of older siblings ( almost 9 and almost 13 ) a few days over the holidays but my 2 come out with us those days and as a 4 they all get on really well. We have long established activities they like to do and the little ones just potter!

I also try and use the summer holidays as a chance to sort through toys/games/stuff and see what hasn't been used since last summer! I have a few bits that haven't been ... but a different set of children and different things get used. So it's a fine line deciding if anything is 'surplus to requirements'!