Safeguarding audit from council and I don’t understand some of the questions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safeguarding audit from council and I don’t understand some of the questions

Hi, I have been sent an safeguarding audit from my local council -Norfolk.Out the pages of questions I am stuck on a few does does one understand how to answer these questions We are not allowed to answer yes\no!

1)Does the setting work with partners to delve lop an understanding of the potential risk in the local area?
    2)How does the setting monitor review any Prevent referrals and how is this information used to inform risk assessments?3)How does the setting ensure safeduarding procedures work along side other parented agencies in order that an understanding of potential risk is developed and information is shared about vulnerable individual, both internally and externally?
    4) How does the setting ensure compliance with the equality act 2010 so that buildings and spaces that are responsible for are not sued inappropriately?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly I would be asking why you are being asked these questions (poorly written too). Is this just LA making work for people? This sounds like something aimed at group settings where they have admin staff, managers, designated safeguarding people etc rather than a lone CMer who would have to take up their spare time to answer these questions just to tick some box on some LA employee's to-do list. If it was me I would do nothing and see what happens.
    You are fulfilling all your legal safeguarding requirements according to the EYFS and Ofsted. That is all you need to do.

3. Likes bunyip, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Firstly I would be asking why you are being asked these questions (poorly written too). Is this just LA making work for people? This sounds like something aimed at group settings where they have admin staff, managers, designated safeguarding people etc rather than a lone CMer who would have to take up their spare time to answer these questions just to tick some box on some LA employee's to-do list. If it was me I would do nothing and see what happens.
    You are fulfilling all your legal safeguarding requirements according to the EYFS and Ofsted. That is all you need to do.
    I would love to do nothing, but they say it’s a requirement as I offer funding so assume funding will be withheld until done. I won’t be offering funding next term. Also considering invoicing them for my time when I return it. Already spent 6 hours on it in own time.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Absolutely.

This sort of ting annoys the heck out of me. After years of DofE and ministerial statements that LAs must not attach additional conditions to providers offering funded childcare, and still the LAs get away with it. Btw, there's no point asking pacey to put a stop to this: I've tried and they're far too busy preening and ingratiating themselves with the powers-that-be to rock any ministerial boats.

My LA usually attaches some mealy-mouthed, fake apologetic explanation that they are "required to collect this data". If anything, it's got worse because running the whole funding racket via online portals makes it so much easier for them to force these stupid 'audits' and surveys on us; at least they used to think twice before sending out cr4p that required the LA staff to stuff a thousand envelopes and pay for the postage.

Childcare providers offer funding for either or both of two simple reasons:-
    1. to help families.
    2. to avoid losing business.

We are already subsidising this through being underpaid (my LA cut the rate even further this year) and additional unpaid admin hours.

Tbh, the way I deal with all this unnecessary nonsense is quite simple. These audits and surveys are invariably badly-conceived, so they ask bad questions, get bad answers, so they produce flawed results and inaccurate statistics, from which they draw false conclusions and devise bad policy solutions to the wrong problems. I therefore have no problem with completing this online b0110x as quickly as possible, and blow the accuracy.

Just give them the answers that will cause the minimum fuss and keep them from sticking their superannuated noses any deeper into your business than needed. If you can throw them the odd curve-ball along the way, so much the better IMHO. They can't actually read the stuff or someone at my LA would have noticed that I've had at least fifteen different ethnic origins in the past twelve months.
    Last edited by bunyip; 18-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.

6. Likes moggy, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have complained time and time again to the LA that they can't send out the same forms to all settings as the questions don't work. Now they change the title of the form to say 'childminder' instead of 'nursery', but they don't change any of the questions

I usually answer n/a or 'this question is not relevant as I am a childminder'.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post