Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is it quiet where you are too?

I've never known it to be so quiet!

I'm normally getting enquiries at least once a month, but nothing, nada, zilch, for the last 6 months at least. I know I'm not alone in my area as a couple of cm friends are saying the same, but we can't figure out why as on the other side of town they've got enquiries coming out of their ears lol
    (we on this side can't cover the school runs so no point in them passing the work over this end sadly)

With the beast from the east and the new fifty shades movies we should all be full again in 12 months, if we can last out till then

Fingers crossed the primary school allocations next month brings in some work

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes it has been since last sept hoping the same as you it picks up soon
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it’s very quiet here at the moment. Other parts of the city seem very busy but my particular part has gone very quiet. By now, I’m normally getting enquiries for September starters, but I’ve had no enquiries so far.

I only have EYs children and any enquiries I see are for school children or wrap around nursery hours. I do wonder if the 30 hours of childcare is having an impact as the local nurseries seem full. I suspect parents don’t always know they could use a childminder for funded hours.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of a lull here, but that usually happens between new year (everyone thinks they’ll change their lives for the better ) and April (school places confirmed.) Overall, we’re still pretty inundated, but not necessarily for good reasons.

We’re getting more enquiries from an ever-widening area. From what I see and hear, it’s because so man6 chil£Care providers are either closing becoming more restrictive in what they offer. In our village, only I and one other CM now offer EY care. In fact, the other one only offers it to siblings of children for whom she does school runs.

It seems a combination of excessive regulations, rising costs and falling incomes mean most have gone for the most cost-effective option of school runs only.

Our funding rate, already too low, has been cut fo4 the new financial year, and all setting# are being hit hard. A local preschool is advertising for a manager at £14k. Who,d do a full time managerial role for that?

One thing I’ve noticed is enquirers thinking they can get very demanding or trying to play one setting off against another. I think the free care has promoted a sense of entitlement. They’re all a bit shocked when I tell them what’s what.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    One thing I’ve noticed is enquirers thinking they can get very demanding or trying to play one setting off against another. I think the free care has promoted a sense of entitlement. They’re all a bit shocked when I tell them what’s what.
    I totally agree with that. This 'free' childcare has been sold to parents as an entitlement for them to use as they want. They seem quite taken aback when you say you work a set way and won't automatically give them what they want. This week I've had a parent telling me they're going on a two week holiday in term time so they'll bring their child for an extra 2 weeks into the summer holidays, despite the fact they're term time only. They really struggled to grasp why I wouldn't do that. This family is term time only and I don't charge any sort of a retainer for school holidays. Thanks to funding they've not paid any childcare fees at all for the last 2 terms and now they feel 'entitled' to an extra 2 weeks care because they should have had X number of hours to use this term. To add insult to injury, mum happily told me that they can afford to go to Disneyland now they don't have to pay for childcare!!

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to report that I'm having lots of enquiries, some word of mouth and others from this website. Trouble is parents are taking so long to make up their mind or as someone said playing off one against another, that when they ask for their particular place they find I've given it to another enquirer! Learnt the hard way keeping a place only to find it's not wanted after all!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    To add insult to injury, mum happily told me that they can afford to go to Disneyland now they don't have to pay for childcare!!
    Ouch!
    Hope you were able to get them to understand that by taking their child out during term time they are forfeiting those hours so tough!

Well I'm relieved to hear it's not just me then, was beginning to think I needed to change my deodorant or something

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a spate of enquiries, but all for days I can't do, or more correctly, for hours/days I don't want to do! (Silly hours ... 45 mins over lunchtime etc) I've had a few, but not recently, for Sept 18 ... but due to 3 parents having babies this academic year, I'm already full for EY next academic year, and it's having as knock on effect for my under 8s. Luckily, I can just do it!
    However , it was and has been really quiet for months.

I did get one mum tell me that we need more cm in our area, so I suggested she registered and she declined. Another mum was registering, but Ofsted took so long and then universal credit came in and totally stuffed her up, so she's not going to do it any more.... she's told everyone it's a nightmare, so I doubt we'll get any more locally!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had loads of enquiries these past few months. So, so frustrating as I really would love to take them on (if they decided on me) but DH and I have decided that I just can't do it from our flat - it causes too much tension with our current downstairs neighbours. I was really hoping to have moved into a house by now and have my childminding business back up and running, but a house move is taking MUCH longer than anticipated. I would welcome an enquiry from someone who just wanted a few hours on one day - it would help me keep my registration going and I could probably just about avoid upsetting the neighbours too much with that, but everyone wants between three days and full time. Typical! My closest childminder here is also full to bursting with a waiting list at the moment too.

Hope it picks up for everyone soon.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to say that all the childminders and Nurseries are completely full in our town - we have a network webpage where parents post their enquiry on and it gets sent out by email to all 30 of us in Childminding network and it's so embarrassing as no one can help. Hoping things pick up for everyone who is "quiet" soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive just had a spate of enquiries - typically when I'm full and cant help. Bet its dead when i need someone new!!

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm full at the moment and still getting enquiries. We've got a lot of new builds now. It's hard when a parent sounds so desperate but I can't help. I hope it picks up for you soon.