The power of the word of a child, and the consequences
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The power of the word of a child, and the consequences

Monday - a parent made serious allegation about me and called the police based of a comment relating to an innocent event a few months ago.
    About mid-day, I spoke to the parents and they withdrew the allegation which did sound serious, them having made a mistake with interpreting what their son had said about a nice game. They told the police to drop the case.
    The police decided to investigate further and arrived unannounced at my house with a social worker.
    They asked me to contact all the parents to take away the kids including the boy who made the allegation. I was told I was not able to work for an undefined time by the police DC.
    The child would not be 'questioned' again as children change their stories.

Tuesday - I attended a police interview - the interview was aggressive, playing with words and meanings which I found tough as I am not English), in a style I would describe as oppressive but the solicitor described as very very firm. I left the interview broken.
    During the interview, the DC made the comment "I know something is not right here" when I seemed to have explained away the issue. Later I queried why the allegation was still being investigated to be told that the child is probably fond of me and if I did harm the child intentionally it would soon be forgiven by the child.
    I called Ofsted who said that they specify who can or cannot work, not the police - confusing.

Wednesday - I learnt indirectly that the police are also focusing on other parts of my care.
    1. sleeping arrangements - the police did not like some of the children sleeping in prams - the mothers preferred this.
    2. why a 2 year old from Hungary who speaks little English was so quite with the social worker and 2 police officers suddenly sharing the play area. When the mother collected the child of course the child started speaking with the mother. The police are yet to get a translator in to 'interview' the child to try see if any harm was coming to the child to make him not interact - update next week.
    Parents all advised me of the police interaction with them looking for issues, but they all gave me full their support, including the parents who made the allegation.
    I found out via a parent that the initial criminal allegation was not being persued but the sleep and Hungarian child 'issue' continued to be persued by the police.

Thursday - at last I was contacted by the police DC. He said that it was Ofsted who decides if I work not the police and and would not admit to telling me I could not work. I therefore contacted the parents to say I could work Friday. Late Thursday Ofsted advised there were items outstanding in the investigation, and I was suspended for 6 months.
    I found out that the sleeping arrangement investigation has stopped.

What is the feeling here about this?
    My advice - please always agree implicitly for the parents to discuss issues with you first. The police are not a force you can manage and will try as hard as they can to find anything wrong to break you with through extreme exaggeration.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry you are going through this.

I suggest you find some legal advice as quickly as possible and work with them to clear things up.

Sending a hug x

3. Likes sandramojolli liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness how awful for you.

It sounds like the police handled it terribly.

I hope it all gets sorted soon. x

5. Likes sandramojolli liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My word, this made the hairs on my arms stand up.

We are so vulnerable!!!!

Other than that words fail me. But I do send you a big hug. Look after yourself.

7. Likes Kiddleywinks, sandramojolli liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for the replies.

The police dropped the case with no evidence.

The Hungarian boy - just gone 2, was eventually interviewed by a translator and psychologist but everything worked out well for me.

I am still left with the council to finalise social worker 'family checks' of my kids (school and doctor reports) after interviewing me and husband, kids and doing kids bedroom inspections. The parents of the children in my care have also had the social workers round to check them and their kids - you can imagine how they thought about that.

When that is all done Ofsted will take away the suspension.

This will probably have cost me £2000 when all sorted.

The police complaint has been sent.....all 4 pages of it. The parents may do the same.

So.....please please please get you complaints processes known to the parents......

There was a typo from before - 6 week suspension not 6 months!!!!!

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you have had to go through this :-(.
    Thank you for highlighting this incident and our vulnerabilities.

Hugs and best wishes to you and everyone involved xxx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully your suspension will be lifted soon - it always amazes me that if people have a problem with childcare they immediately contact Ofsted but if they have a problem with their energy supplier, they know to phone their energy supplier rather than the Governing body.

11. Likes mandy moo liked this post