Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When does imaginative/role play end?

In your experience - what age does role play/imaginative play start to end? By that, I mean playing school, vets, playing shop etc.

I'm in no rush what so ever for it to end - I love it and would miss it when it is eventually no longer evident in our home. I am finding that, if anything, it is getting deeper and richer with my 8 and a half year old. Whatever experience we have is then recreated with soft toys later on. At the moment all the cuddly toys are apparently at Glastonbury - the Glastonbury thread made me write this post after chuckling to myself! (We watched it on tv - not a first hand experience for DD.)

I seem to remember playing to a far older age than all of my friends - but I also remember being a bit embarrassed by it and only playing behind closed doors - maybe all my friends were doing the same?

I'm sure there is a transition phase, where the play is gradually replaced with different types of play/recreation.

Just curious.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

11-12 yr olds still play fantasy roles- or maybe more via action figures/lego figures rather than being the characters themselves. It helps having younger siblings to encourage this play as you are right, it is not so 'cool' at this age I think and is more something at home with siblings rather than out with friends. Early teens still play roles with nerf-guns and toy swords, from my experience!

3. Likes Bluebell, Maza liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my own 12 and 9 year old love imaginative play - role playing outdoor games or through toys such as lego or zomblings. probably less so as they get older and computer games take over but sometimes they recreate the games they are playing on the computer by playing the characters. I wish they dud more of it rather than computer and tv to be honest!! I only do after school once a week and they love the opportunity to go out and play imaginative games with someone new.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still love imaginative role play!

I've been taking photographs of some toys to sell.....I can't help but set them up and pretend they have feelings... Gloldicks la la doll was not happy in a photo shoot in the hairdressers with her rollers in!
    Happier when she wore my Glastonbury daisy chain head dress.....if we lived closer she would have loved a visit to the soft toy Glasto wearing that! 🌼🌼🌼

RagnBone man should be good tonight and I am looking forward to London Grammar...all this live music for no cost, it's brilliant.
    Looking at the audiences...imaginative role play still rocks there too....Guy Garvey was impressed by Spider-Man on Friday night and his subtle moves.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    In your experience - what age does role play/imaginative play start to end? By that, I mean playing school, vets, playing shop etc.

I'm in no rush what so ever for it to end - I love it and would miss it when it is eventually no longer evident in our home. I am finding that, if anything, it is getting deeper and richer with my 8 and a half year old. Whatever experience we have is then recreated with soft toys later on. At the moment all the cuddly toys are apparently at Glastonbury - the Glastonbury thread made me write this post after chuckling to myself! (We watched it on tv - not a first hand experience for DD.)

I seem to remember playing to a far older age than all of my friends - but I also remember being a bit embarrassed by it and only playing behind closed doors - maybe all my friends were doing the same?

I'm sure there is a transition phase, where the play is gradually replaced with different types of play/recreation.

Just curious.
    Just as an aside my eldest son is 12 years older than my youngest daughter (and the only girl after 3 sons!) and when she was 5 we bought her a toy cooker with all the things to go with it. I didn't wrap it and left it in the kitchen the night before her birthday so it was there when she got up. My son and his friend who were 17 by then played with it for quite a while when they came in late at night not realising I was still up and could hear them, but I stayed quiet and in the other room so as not to spoil their fun!

9. Likes FloraDora, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When he rolls over and lights a cigarette x

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

:QUOTE=watford wizz;1431502]When he rolls over and lights a cigarette x[/QUOTE]

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I still love imaginative role play!

I've been taking photographs of some toys to sell.....I can't help but set them up and pretend they have feelings... Gloldicks la la doll was not happy in a photo shoot in the hairdressers with her rollers in!
    Happier when she wore my Glastonbury daisy chain head dress.....if we lived closer she would have loved a visit to the soft toy Glasto wearing that! 🌼🌼🌼

RagnBone man should be good tonight and I am looking forward to London Grammar...all this live music for no cost, it's brilliant.
    Looking at the audiences...imaginative role play still rocks there too....Guy Garvey was impressed by Spider-Man on Friday night and his subtle moves.
    This is why I find it heart wrenching to get rid of cuddly toys! Cold, plastic toys I can donate/bin, but each cuddly toy really does seem to have its own personality. Maybe I'm just crazy...

14. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DD was still playing with her dolls ( not quite baby dolls, but older 'girls', but the bigger dolls, not Barbie type ) until she was in summer of yr 6, she is year on now, and still has her sylvanians under her bed ( set up in a 'scene' - but don't tell her I know! ) and she has a 'mouse house' with maileg mice in on display.

DS never really did imaginative role play per se , but would play with Thomas trains, for hours until he was about 8/9.

and like Chris, DS and his friend came in one afternoon, whilst all mindees were asleep and I don't think they realised I was there, and they were busy building traintracks and setting up scenes in the playroom!

my brother however, is 40, and he is frequently engaged in imaginative play - He's an actor!

16. Likes Maza liked this post