child safe drawing pins?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child safe drawing pins?!

I have got a corkboard/pinboard up for childrens artwork but am worried that normal drawing pins are a hazard if dropped and swallowed/touched by the children, can anyone recommend me something safer to use? In hindsight i should have gone for a magnetic board but its too late! Any ideas?!

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kris krossing the board with colourful elastic then tucking the pictures in - lots of these on Pinterest.
    You could nail glue some big colourful bull dog like clips on the board and then attach pics in the clips.
    You could nail glue on some magnets to attach things to.
    Put string across the board and peg on the pictures.
    I use a wooden trouser / skirt hanger and clip in my certificate etc.. it then hangs up in my cloakroom hooks. Perhaps you could attach some cup hooks to the board and hang things off?

Buy John Lewis Skirt Clip Hangers, FSC-certified (Beech), Pack of 3 | John Lewis

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I have got a corkboard/pinboard up for childrens artwork but am worried that normal drawing pins are a hazard if dropped and swallowed/touched by the children, can anyone recommend me something safer to use? In hindsight i should have gone for a magnetic board but its too late! Any ideas?!
    I have a big board that I use drawing pins on for artwork etc.

The older children learn how to use pins safely and the younger children learn not to touch! It is not easily accessible for the younger children. If a pin is dropped, then it is picked up! I use big brightly coloured pins that are easy to see.

The children do not put anything on or take anything off the board without asking me first.

4. Likes mama2three, FloraDora, Dragonfly liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use push pins. I dont avoid all risks , I also let the children use staplers and other items which could be 'dangerous'. Its about supervision and teaching them to use things safely.

6. Likes FloraDora, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use drawing pins, even within reach of children and teach them not to touch.

Like others have said, I use bright coloured pins so they're easy to see if dropped.

I have also used pegs on a string to hang pictures. If the children want to display their own work they put it on the fridge with a magnet.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use push pins that way if they fall out of the board they fall flat on their sides and not point upwards like a drawing pin.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I use push pins that way if they fall out of the board they fall flat on their sides and not point upwards like a drawing pin.
    I didn't realise there was a difference between push pins and drawing pins! After googling them I realise I use push pins not drawing pins

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I didn't realise there was a difference between push pins and drawing pins! After googling them I realise I use push pins not drawing pins
    LOL! Same here!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    LOL! Same here!
    And here! You really do learn something new every day!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I used to work with a lady who used to be a reception teacher, she used what she called "map pins" to pin up work on display boards, she told me about the difference in how pins land - map pins have much smaller heads and longer points and I as my display board goes right down to toddler height I was worried about how sharp map pins are so opted for push pins instead - downside is that the heads are more visible and sometimes children do pull them out of board - normally when parents are supposed to be supervising them!