Thread: is it just me?

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default is it just me?

I seem to have had a run recently of 2 1/2 yr old boys who seem to be completely and utterly incapable of doing ANYTHING for themselves, or even understanding what you are saying to them!

Is it a boy thing or an age thing? all my 2 yr old girls are organising me, but the boys ... ARGHH! I do have 1 boy who does everything for himself, and doesn't need a personal invitation to do anything, but the rest of them are driving me insane! Just looking at me as if I am speaking outer Mongolian!

' lets go and wash our hands for lunch ' ... everyone rushes to wash their hands, including 14 mth old ( ! ) except X

' X, lets go and wash our hands for lunch' ... stands there looking blankly at me

' X, time to wash our hands ' ... as above

I give up and lead X to wash his hands ...

having washed them, he then stands there and has to be personally invited to dry his hands, and then reminded to come and sit down!

He fell over last week, and just lay there on the ground waiting to be picked up ( no injuries, no crying ) ( I can't get the shaking head smiley to work! )

I KNOW its a developmental thing, and processing and all of that, but this child was more or less doing things himself a few weeks ago, and has now taken up the baton where the last child gave up! I've had it now for over a year, with 3 or 4 different boys!

I remember minding a boy who went through this about 8 years ago but no one since!

OR, do I just have 3 boys whose mothers do EVERYTHING for them! I know one of my recent boys had everything done for him by mum and sisters, and I worked hard with WHOLE family to get through it, and another boys mum was doing everything and hadn't realised! but mum of current child, I thought, was not of that ilk! I may be wrong!

please tell me its not just me!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I find some parents do everything for them.... it's quicker

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one who started school in September and I still have to remind him he needs shoes on before going to school or he is holding his book bag and trying to get his arm in the sleeve of his coat. Drives me insane when I have a 2 yr old who can do shoes, coat and zip on his own.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I seem to have had a run recently of 2 1/2 yr old boys who seem to be completely and utterly incapable of doing ANYTHING for themselves, or even understanding what you are saying to them!

Is it a boy thing or an age thing? all my 2 yr old girls are organising me, but the boys ... ARGHH! I do have 1 boy who does everything for himself, and doesn't need a personal invitation to do anything, but the rest of them are driving me insane! Just looking at me as if I am speaking outer Mongolian!

' lets go and wash our hands for lunch ' ... everyone rushes to wash their hands, including 14 mth old ( ! ) except X

' X, lets go and wash our hands for lunch' ... stands there looking blankly at me

' X, time to wash our hands ' ... as above

I give up and lead X to wash his hands ...

having washed them, he then stands there and has to be personally invited to dry his hands, and then reminded to come and sit down!

He fell over last week, and just lay there on the ground waiting to be picked up ( no injuries, no crying ) ( I can't get the shaking head smiley to work! )

I KNOW its a developmental thing, and processing and all of that, but this child was more or less doing things himself a few weeks ago, and has now taken up the baton where the last child gave up! I've had it now for over a year, with 3 or 4 different boys!

I remember minding a boy who went through this about 8 years ago but no one since!

OR, do I just have 3 boys whose mothers do EVERYTHING for them! I know one of my recent boys had everything done for him by mum and sisters, and I worked hard with WHOLE family to get through it, and another boys mum was doing everything and hadn't realised! but mum of current child, I thought, was not of that ilk! I may be wrong!

please tell me its not just me!
    No not just you as I have 3 boys ages 3,3 & 4. One of the 3 year olds is great but the other is treated at home more like a baby but can and does do things he should for himself when here. But the 4 year old who will be starting school in September is a nightmare! I do worry about him because he can't even hold a decent conversation i.e. on the way to pre school this morning one of the 3 year olds pointed out a robin and asked the said 4 year old can you see the robin? The reply was birds don't have arms or mouths like us!! Even though I point out to mum things he does I think she is just hoping when he starts school he will catch up oh and he is still in nappies!