fuzzy felts
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: fuzzy felts

Post Thanks / Like

Default fuzzy felts

I want to buy some fuzzy felts and remember them fondly from my childhood but am worried these days they will be shoddy quality - can anyone recommend me one?

Thank you! x

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely loved fuzzy felts as a child. I used to spend ages creating lovely pictures - I seem to remember a garden one . It was one of my favourite activities in the seventies. I excitedly bought one for my DD when she was about 4/5 but she never took to it at all. It was a good quality one but maybe not quite as eye catching/vivid as the ones I had. I think I got her the dinosaur one as they were her passion at the time. I can't remember if it had a black felt board/background - I think the black was what made mine so lovely with the contrasting colours.

Sorry, I haven't been any help at all. If you find a good one let me know. Maybe I'll give it another try now that she's a bit older.

I really wish they hadn't changed the Spirograph set - my 80s version was so much better than the ones around now.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a fuzzy felt pictures and circus box. I remember them, but mostly through frustration in not being able to make a picture that I liked and not being sure what the shapes were. For years people donated fuzzy felts to school, they lay in a choosing drawer, all the felt pieces muddled....children rarely chose them to play with.

So I am not the greatest fan...but I did see ELC ones that looked good, bigger shapes, it was a farm with realistic animals.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I want to buy some fuzzy felts and remember them fondly from my childhood but am worried these days they will be shoddy quality - can anyone recommend me one?

Thank you! x
    Got some was really excited and then they got donated to a jumble sale or something similar.

I remember loving them as a child however the reality didn't match the reality
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have very fond memories as a child and was delighted when I recently found a box in a charity shop. The lo's just didn't 'get it'. The schoolies just looked and walked off. I don't know if they are use to all singing all dancing 'toys/entertainment' that they just couldn't figure out how to play. They kept lifting them up and as the figures etc just kept flopping due to the felt they lost interest very quickly. Whilst we can try very hard to introduce old fashion 'no end' play I do think sometimes we are on loosing battle. You should see some of my youngest lo's on their parents mobiles, incredible and here I was offering them fuzzy felt.

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

Thank you! x
    I agree with everyone else about this. I think a lot of things they try to bring back are just poor quality or a lot smaller and don't go down well with today's children. I got fuzzy felt a few years back and it wasn't played with, I bought a humming top (online) and it was so small it wasn't fun at all, and for my grandaughter at Christmas I got her Timeshock - the game where you put different shapes into a board against the clock and when the time runs out they all spring up! Not a very good description, sorry,
    but my daughter and I were very excited for her - until she opened it. It was half the size and not very good at all so she wasn't impressed and we were disappointed! So maybe best to leave these toys in the past and keep our memories.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved fuzzy felts as a child, but like others, have been disappointed by the ones on offer today. I had a set from ELC and they were awful - didn't stick at all.

I do now have quite a few sets like this one and they do seem much better

Felt Creations Felt Picture Set - Wizard of Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

I've found the 4 year olds (just before school age) are the ones most likely to play with them. The boards are good and solid and for the younger children I have put the grippy side of velcro onto the backs of felt shapes to help them grip better. I do find the younger ones like to just stick things on and pull them off so it gives them a more satisfying experience if they have to pull them a bit harder because of the velcro.

I also have these, which are on a fuzzy felt theme

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/decorate...cm/625766-1000

https://www.playpennies.com/media/im...636732d1a3.jpg

The younger children spend a lot of time playing with them.

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny about the spinning top chris , i did the same ..then had to buy another better quality one which my one year olds absolutely love. Another oldie mine love are the pin art boards . As for fuzzy felts , best left firmly in the past! ( although i love the spring tree maza)
    Last edited by mama2three; 05-05-2017 at 12:07 PM.

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post