Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me asking for personal advice, but I am really concerned about my 4 year old son. He started in foundation in September, after 2 years at pre-school that he loved. He went upto foundation and transitioned really well as expected, he bounced to school each day. He has always been a school lover, he so enjoys being in that environment, and has been very independent even going on pre-school trips without me.

About 2 months ago he started having little wobbles before school, the normal I'm tired, or I don't want to go today, which is very unlike him, but I understand that some kids "hit the wall" so to speak once they realise this is a permanent everyday thing! this situation has got progressively worse, to screaming all the way there, refusing to go in, trying to head to the gates to go home. Some mornings he is beside himself, and has to be carried in by staff, even the head took him in the other day. when I ask him what's wrong he says, I'm tired or I cant sleep at school, or I'm scared. He said he doesn't like the games they play, and sometimes says its boring, as you can see their is no clear response as to what is upsetting him?

He used to eat school dinner on a Friday, but now refuses to go in the dinner hall, he says he's scared and gets lost, he doesn't eat any packed lunch it all comes back untouched maybe 1 or 2 bites at best. Worst of all its started to affect him at home, he is getting really upset if we go out, places he's always been like town or the shops, he screams about not going saying he's scared, when we get there he cry's and trembles and says where is everybody, they're going to shut, we will be locked in!!! he is so anxious. He has never been like this, he has always been very sociable, outgoing and confident, and now he is a very anxious little boy. It breaks our heart to drop him of in the morning kicking and screaming because he wants to be with me where he feels safe, and I am breaking that confidence he has in me everyday by leaving him there, which is why I wonder if the anxiety has started because he feels like nobody is protecting him!

We have spoken to the teacher and they say once he's in he's fine! they mix the foundation year 1 and year 2 in the same playground at lunch, approx. 160 kids, and he has a sibling in year 2, but I don't want to ask his sibling to watch him at lunch as its not fair. I have emailed the head with our concerns, but no reply as yet, his teacher has set another meeting with me later this week to discuss.

What advice would you give, am I doing enough, am I doing to little, this poor little boys character is being broken a little bit more everyday. I feel like storming into the office and demanding they do something, and taking him home permanently!

Any advice for a worried mum?

Thanks