Thoughts on tv/dvd??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on tv/dvd??

Hi ladies and gents,

Ok so I look after 4 under 3s. I use the tv (well mainly dvds) sometimes in the morning or at a time like when I'm putting the little ones in the pushchair the toddlers will wait having 5 minutes of a DVD or something. My parents are fine with this and we agree tv is ok but in moderation, like everything!

anyway we are doing a total re haul of our playroom and I'm wondering on whether to put a little tv on the wall? I would use it for dvds only (would buy one with a built in DVD player). we also have DVD stories and such too so not just 'vision' IYKWIM?

What's everyone's thoughts? Stick with the living room or add another tv??!! Don't want to send out the wrong message to parents though that they think it's on ALL the time which is so not the case...

Thanks
    Last edited by **Orchard CM**; 11-12-2016 at 05:04 PM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by **Orchard CM** View Post
    Hi ladies and gents,

Ok so I look after 4 under 3s. I use the tv (well mainly dvds) sometimes in the morning or at a time like when I'm putting the little ones in the pushchair the toddlers will wait having 5 minutes of a DVD or something. My parents are fine with this and we agree tv is ok but in moderation, like everything!

anyway we are doing a total re haul of our playroom and I'm wondering on whether to put a little tv on the wall? I would use it for dvds only (would buy one with a built in DVD player). we also have DVD stories and such too so not just 'vision' IYKWIM?

What's everyone's thoughts? Stick with the living room or add another tv??!! Don't want to send out the wrong message to parents though that they think it's on ALL the time which is so not the case...

Thanks
    When DH did my playroom, he built a recess in the wall for a flat TV!
    His plan was that he was 'future proofing' the playroom for our children as teenagers ... however ... i said no to a TV in playroom NOW as I prefer to choose when it is on and not have it there 'waving' at us! (we barely watch during the day, but currently we have a dvd or Blue Peter or similar on after tea)

My children are getting older and I can't see them ever getting the playroom as their own room, as I'm not planning on giving up anytime soon!

Probably no help to you at all!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we have a tv in the front room and the children watch it after tea ... it's off during the day.

If I want to show them short films, songs or stories I use a laptop or tablet

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have a tv available in the living room and are happy to use it then I would stick to occasionally watching that one. As Sarah said, if you need to view in the playroom you could always use laptops or iPads, if you have them.

Think what else you could put in that TVs space in the playroom.

Everything as to earn its place in my home/ setting and something with only occasional use doesn't gain enough points to have a place.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on another tv. I think the tv can be an excellent learning and relaxation tool when used thoughtfully and my little ones always looked forward to a little tv session. They would either sit on beanbags on the living room floor, with a blanket to snuggle under if they wanted, or if they preferred to sit on the sofa I would quickly put a throw on the sofa, which they thought was really special and cosy - but really it was to protect my sofa just incase one of them had a little accident or started dribbling on the arm of the sofa, picked their nose etc.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

We use he computer to watch to on the odd occasion the children ask to watch something, we don't have a to in the playroom