Thinking of a re launch
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    AUG 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of a re launch

So after almost a week of debating whether or not I was just having abit of a down phase and a long talk with my hubby I have decided to
    continue childminding. I have lost my way recently and have been focusing way too much on all the negatives. I am now considering a complete overhaul of my setting and a relaunch of my logo etc for January what do you all think.

Susie.

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are staying childminding - I think a relaunch may be a nice idea to boost your morale

4. Likes windles liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent idea! Look at your documentation as well and make sure you are not doing too much - if it's dragging you down then you won't have time for the fun

6. Likes windles liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone has their down days. I went through a phase of about 6-8months hating my job. Everything had become a chore, I had stress at home which I wasn't dealing with alongside my job. I was just going through the motions and waiting for an opportunity to find something else. But I couldn't find a good time to stop and felt I would let everyone down who had been here years.

Then the summer came, I had a few children leave in July/Aug and a lot of new children starting which spurred me into looking at the positives. My problem is that I'm not able to relax during work hours, I feel like I'm not at home and don't even go into my lounge in the daytime as I can't be seen 'slacking off'. I feel like I have to be doing something all the time and feel lazy by sitting down feeding a baby a bottle!! I'm trying to relax more but its hard.

Ofsted is also a negative with me and I was down after my inspection, even though it was good, it wasn't perfect so I find that hard to handle.

An overhaul is a great idea and it may give you the freshness that you need.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your post actually inspired me to send parents an e-mail telling them I was putting my fees up - I had got a bit lazy and was coasting through the day, but now I feel I have to try a bit harder to be worth my hourly increase.

9. Likes windles, mumofone, Maza liked this post
    AUG 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone.
    I am feeling more positive its so hard to get dragged down with this job everyone thinks we have it so
    easy and the reality is very different.

Sue.

11. Likes mumofone, JCrakers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Your post actually inspired me to send parents an e-mail telling them I was putting my fees up - I had got a bit lazy and was coasting through the day, but now I feel I have to try a bit harder to be worth my hourly increase.
    What have you gone from and to with your charges HH? Were parents ok with it?
    I daren't put mine up because of those days where i coast! ;-0

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed a lot of minders have recently put up their fees in my area. They seem to all do it en masse!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What have you gone from and to with your charges HH? Were parents ok with it?
    I daren't put mine up because of those days where i coast! ;-0
    I told parents that most childminders in our town had been charging £4.50 for a couple of years - I researched price of mid price Nurseries too and they seemed to be £5 an hour and £2.50 for a hot lunch - so I went with middle ground and put price up from £4.20 (been that for 2 years) to £4.40 and meal up to £2.00 (haven't ever increased that in 11 years). I offered one parent a small sibling discount as I didn't want her to think twice about going back to work next Summer - I wouldn't normally do sibling discount but as I will have 4 children (continuity of care - sibling baby) I can afford to give a small discount.

It's normally better to do small yearly or bi - annually increases rather than a large increase after more years.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

I told parents that most childminders in our town had been charging £4.50 for a couple of years - I researched price of mid price Nurseries too and they seemed to be £5 an hour and £2.50 for a hot lunch - so I went with middle ground and put price up from £4.20 (been that for 2 years) to £4.40 and meal up to £2.00 (haven't ever increased that in 11 years). I offered one parent a small sibling discount as I didn't want her to think twice about going back to work next Summer - I wouldn't normally do sibling discount but as I will have 4 children (continuity of care - sibling baby) I can afford to give a small discount.

It's normally better to do small yearly or bi - annually increases rather than a large increase after more years.
    I say I do an annual fee increase, but actually do it every other year ... parents seem more accepting of bi annual increases!

My 'problem' is that on paper, I am already the most expensive cm in my area .. but I include all food. (And I'm the only outstanding cm) I aim to match closest outstanding day nursery in fees (or a touch under as they only offer session fees and I charge by hour! So I can be a touch cheaper!)