Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ratios

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ratios

Hi All,

I am looking for some help please

My son is 3 1/2 and has started pre-school in September

Can you please let me know if I need to include him in my ratio whilst he is at pre-school?

Thanks All

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am sure you do, though I expect someone will come along with a definate answer.
    Your son may not always be at preschool, illness, school closure or holidays may cause him to be at home and therefore part of your numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I am sure you do, though I expect someone will come along with a definate answer.
    Your son may not always be at preschool, illness, school closure or holidays may cause him to be at home and therefore part of your numbers.
    thank you, but my husband would look after him in such circumstances? In which case I wouldn't need too?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This guidance says that when children are not on the premises we don't have to include them in ratios -

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...Ratios_FAQ.pdf

However, you will need to risk assess how you will get back to ratio if they return home unexpectedly and during holidays

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay.butler View Post
    thank you, but my husband would look after him in such circumstances? In which case I wouldn't need too?
    I wouldn't be too sure of that.

The main reason I got MrsB listed as my assistant was that we needed to be able to look after our grandchildren at any time (DD works shifts/)

I asked Ofsted if we could divide the task such that I looked after mindees whilst MrsB looked after the grandchildren, and was told "no". If they were on the premises, then I was classed as responsible for them and had to count them in my ratio.

Tbf, this was back in the days when you could ask Ofsted and question and get an answer that wasn't "refer to EYFS."

6. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure of that.

The main reason I got MrsB listed as my assistant was that we needed to be able to look after our grandchildren at any time (DD works shifts/)

I asked Ofsted if we could divide the task such that I looked after mindees whilst MrsB looked after the grandchildren, and was told "no". If they were on the premises, then I was classed as responsible for them and had to count them in my ratio.

Tbf, this was back in the days when you could ask Ofsted and question and get an answer that wasn't "refer to EYFS."
    It's not really changed - we had a member of our IC Facebook group who was recently actioned by Ofsted because dad was looking after their children in the same house as mum was childminding with full ratio - Ofsted said that the children were playing together therefore the childminder was out of ratio...

Not something we'd recommend...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    This guidance says that when children are not on the premises we don't have to include them in ratios -

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...Ratios_FAQ.pdf

However, you will need to risk assess how you will get back to ratio if they return home unexpectedly and during holidays
    it does state

'Must a childminder’s own children always be included in the ratios?
    Yes, unless they do not have care of their own children during the time they are minding other children (e.g. when the child is at school or with another childcare provider). The maximum number of six children that a childminder can care for must include the childminder’s own children. If for any reason the arrangements made to care for their own child fails, the childminder must still maintain the correct ratios.'