Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default UNPAID DEBT, PARENT WANTS INVOICES FOR HMRC

Hello,

A parent was owing 2 weeks payment and promised to pay. She sent a text message, saying she will be using another Childminder in the area, without given the 4 weeks advice notice as per the signed contract.

Anyways, The insurance company paid all the outstanding payments. now the parent want me to provide invoices, because it was requested by HMRC.

Please what should I do?

ADVICE PLEASE

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past, when parents have received the letter from HMRC, I have replied to it with a letter showing a breakdown of how much they have paid each month. I don't provide invoices and that's always been accepted instead.

As parents left owing you money, I'd feel under no obligation to help them out, so would only provide the details on my terms. I would ask that they forward a copy of the letter to you so that you can reply direct to HMRC. You could then do a letter showing what your fees were each month/week and what parents actually paid, or didn't pay. Or you could tell them to get HMRC to contact you direct for the information. I certainly wouldn't make it easy for them and neither would I hand them a letter that they'd have chance to change before submitting it.

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are within your rights to say it will cost £X amount to issue replacements plus the amount they still have outstanding of £X amount (they don't need to know your insurer paid you)

If they agree to pay up (unlikely but hey, you never know lol) ask for a copy of the letter, including the reference number, and do a statement of account, showing fees due, payments received, and when.
    Print off two copies.
    Send one, signed and dated, with a cover note saying you have been asked to provide the enclosed information with regard to the parents claim, quote parents name and the reference number, to the return address on the TC letter.
    Give the parent the other copy (unsigned but with the word 'COPY' diagonally across it) and let them know you've already sent it direct.

Alternatively, you could always do the above without asking for payment, 'yeah sure, I just need a copy of the letter you've received'

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Star8376 View Post
    Hello,

A parent was owing 2 weeks payment and promised to pay. She sent a text message, saying she will be using another Childminder in the area, without given the 4 weeks advice notice as per the signed contract.

Anyways, The insurance company paid all the outstanding payments. now the parent want me to provide invoices, because it was requested by HMRC.

Please what should I do?

ADVICE PLEASE
    Do you mean she wants you to give her receipts for the weeks she used and the weeks insurance company paid for. . I would issue her with every receipt for the weeks she paid but not for the weeks insurance company said
    Tess1981

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it curious the client is asking for "invoices".

An invoice is an itemised request for payment. Most, but not all CMs issue these.

All CMs should issue receipts, which are proof of actual payments made.

In most circumstances where parents deal with HMRC regarding childcare (ie. tax credits) HMRC want to know the actual amount paid by a parent, so they'd need receipts, not invoices. They'd only need invoices in relation to business accounts: eg. if they were claiming childcare as a business expense, not a TC claim.

So, first off, I'm guessing the erstwhile client wants invoices because she knows that receipts would clearly show a shortfall between what she's claiming and what she actually spent on childcare. Sneaky.

I'm assuming you've already done the right thing and provided clear and accurate receipts for all payments, yes? If so, then you're not obliged to respond to such a request unless/until HMRC contact you directly. If you choose to do so, then you're entitled to follow the excellent advice already offered by other members. That is, either:-
    • Get the HMRC letter off the mum and reply directly to HMRC (I'd do this for preference, and take the opportunity to spell out exactly what was paid and how much was left unpaid. )
    • or
    • Provide duplicates to mum, whilst charging her an admin fee for the service (this must be reasonable and she must know what she'll be charged before you do it. It goes without saying she pays you cash in advance for this service, given her payment history.)

In either case, mark the copies in big red capitals DUPLICATE. I wouldn't put it past this mum to try to submit them with the originals to make t llook like she paid twice!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have put both threads together and deleted any posts which now dont make sense.

Thank you
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I have put both threads together and deleted any posts which now dont make sense.

Thank you
    Thanks Fussy.

Hey, you mean my posts actually do make sense? I'll take that as a compliment.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do a letter saying £xx invoiced and £xx paid - print it out on headed paper I've made myself and send it direct to whoever asked for it.

If it shows that the parent has not paid what was invoiced then that's their lookout...

11. Likes bunyip liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Thanks Fussy.

Hey, you mean my posts actually do make sense? I'll take that as a compliment.
    Occasionally Bunyip occasionally 😂:-p
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

13. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Occasionally Bunyip occasionally dde02:-p
    Hahahahahaha