Starting New Job!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting New Job!

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right place- not au fait with forums!

I'm not a registered childminder but have been offered and accepted a nanny-housekeeper job with a local family. Although I have a good deal of experience with caring for children, the housekeeping side is very daunting! The family have three children, aged 3, 5 and 7, lovely kids, and I will be expected to carry out the following tasks:

cleaning most of the house top to bottom (it's a HUGE house on four storeys), all the laundry, caring for the children, planning meals, ordering the food and cooking dinner for the whole family.

I feel like this is an awful lot for one person to do, especially with such young children that, when at home, will require a lot of attention. As well as this I am vegan and have never cooked with meat in my life, so the prospect of having to plan and cook elaborate evening meals that I have no idea about is quite a worry.

Am I justified in thinking this is a lot of work for one person? I spoke to the current nanny today who is leaving the role as she found it too much. And given the pay is well below the living wage at just £7.50 an hour, I feel like I'm really getting a raw deal.

Any advice?

Much appreciated

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome!

This is a childminding forum - I don't think there are many nannies here...

You might be better joining our nanny Facebook group where I am sure your fellow nannies will be more than happy to tell you that the parents' expectations are unrealistic and paying less than minimum wage is illegal.

Good luck with everything! https://www.facebook.com/groups/nannychat/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimJams View Post
    Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right place- not au fait with forums! I'm not a registered childminder but have been offered and accepted a nanny-housekeeper job with a local family. Although I have a good deal of experience with caring for children, the housekeeping side is very daunting! The family have three children, aged 3, 5 and 7, lovely kids, and I will be expected to carry out the following tasks: cleaning most of the house top to bottom (it's a HUGE house on four storeys), all the laundry, caring for the children, planning meals, ordering the food and cooking dinner for the whole family. I feel like this is an awful lot for one person to do, especially with such young children that, when at home, will require a lot of attention. As well as this I am vegan and have never cooked with meat in my life, so the prospect of having to plan and cook elaborate evening meals that I have no idea about is quite a worry. Am I justified in thinking this is a lot of work for one person? I spoke to the current nanny today who is leaving the role as she found it too much. And given the pay is well below the living wage at just £7.50 an hour, I feel like I'm really getting a raw deal. Any advice? Much appreciated
    Absolutely sounds too much for not enough money, could you become a childminder instead?!

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would expect at least £10 an hour for just the nannying (I nannied for 10 plus years). I worked for a family who had similar ages of children, I nannied full time and was only expected to tidy and clean their bedrooms and the playroom and tidy up after myself in the kitchen. I also did most of the kids laundry. They had a housekeeper who did the rest of the house. Mum was home and did most of the cooking, all the menu planning and food ordering and I had child-free time to do the housework tasks. They are asking too much for the wage (even if it was a live-in post with accommodation provided).

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=JimJams;1424414

Any advice?

Much appreciated [/QUOTE]

If you think you are getting a raw deal.....why did you accept the job?
    You know the terms and conditions..I expect they were also advertised.....you accepted them.
    In my opinion you cannot now enter in to negotiations...that moment is long gone.
    My advice: decline the offer and read the small print/ analyse the work balance, your skills / payment, before applying for the job next time.
    Being a vegan, you may prefer to work for vegetarians or vegans. Or practise cooking meat and see how you feel. Did you tell them on your application or at an interview that you were vegan?

I do think though that if you are being paid less than minimum wage ...which surely is illegal - unless meals/ accomodation is calculated in it?

Reading the Lady magazine adverts ( for my great niece) it does seem that sometimes a lot is asked for ....but with no qualifications I suppose lots of people are happy to do the job.....which exasperates the situation.....and brings down the importance of qualifications. If a family can advertise for a job like this....and get applicants...then this will continue to happen. Low wages, long hours for under minimum wage....if nobody applied...these people would soon change their offer.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As far as I remember, an employee of a private house (such as a nanny, house keeper, gardener etc) is not eligible for minimum wage as it is a private arrangement.

OP, I'm a little concerned that you took the job on without telling your employers that you are vegan. It does sound like they want alot from you.

I used to nanny for 3 children, I did all their washing and if the parents clothes were in the washing baskets, I would wash them along with the children's (but mum would 'process' the washing too when she was home). I generally did the food shopping and cooked all the children's meals. Probably once or twice a week the parents had the left overs for tea!
    I kept things tidy, but we also had an au pair who did the cleaning and ironing! I wouldn't have time to clean as well as look after the children.
    Good luck for the future.