How long are DBS's taking these days?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long are DBS's taking these days?

In the future if I wanted to take on an assistant, how long are the dbs's taking these days? Mine took months when j registered, is it any quicker to get it done once the setting is all set up? Or would I potentially have to prepare months in advance to be able to increase numbers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    In the future if I wanted to take on an assistant, how long are the dbs's taking these days? Mine took months when j registered, is it any quicker to get it done once the setting is all set up? Or would I potentially have to prepare months in advance to be able to increase numbers?
    Someone posted just the other day that there's had taken 7 months and still waiting!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what worried me, how can you plan to expand your business if it takes that long, no one would wait around that long for childcare or for a job! I don't understand how it took mine nearly 4 months and that was with me hassling them!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But on the other hand, I just applied for an enhanced dbs for one of my other 'hats' and I had it within 10 working days!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

You see 10 days is amazing, what is the difference?!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it depends where you live / which police area's desk it drops on.

I just got an enhanced dbs in 3 weeks ... but I have a friend down south who has been waiting months. I think London has a huge backlog

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm down south, it got stuck on the police stage when I had mine done and they left it until the last day before doing it. Don't hold out much hope then, shame it isn't all on a centralised computer system and can be done that way

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thought on this, if someone already had a dbs with the new update thing, would just the EY2 need doing? Or would the dbs need to be redone by me as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Another thought on this, if someone already had a dbs with the new update thing, would just the EY2 need doing? Or would the dbs need to be redone by me as well?
    If someone is registered to the on-line update service then all you ned to do is get their date of birth and full name and you can check to see if there have been any changes to their DBS, only if it indicates there have been changes do you need to ask for a new one.

Whilst you are waiting for a DBS to arrive you can employ an assistant as long as they are never left unsupervised

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my understanding of it -

yes you need to do the form for Ofsted to notify them.

Once you have 'checked' the person yourself and are happy with references or seen previous DBS checks and have notified OFsted you can start their employment with you BEFORE the new / Ofsted DBS arrives. This is you taking responsibility for the suitability of the person and ensuring they are not 'alone' with children - ie not doing nappy changes or being left alone during a school run.

Please check this information with Ofsted - this is what I was told by Ofsted when I employed an assistant which was now over 2 years ago.