TV
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: TV

Post Thanks / Like

Default TV

I've had an enquiry from a parent who's baby had never watched tv (all good) so wanted to know that it would never be on in my setting. I've said they watch in moderation as I look after all ages. They want me to give an exact figure or idea but it's just not that clear cut, it can depend on so many factors. I know lots of people are completely no/anti tv which I completely respect and understand and that's great but I'm not and my gut tells me my setting may not be exactly what they're looking for. What would you do?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be totally upfront with her.

Tell her that she has your word that you closely monitor, control even, what they watch and that it is always age appropriate and that as a professional who takes the education and welfare of the children very seriously you will ensure that they do not watch excessive amounts.

Sorry, but there are worse things than watching a lovely tv programme together. One of the girls in DDs class doesn't have a tv at home - well, the parents have one in their bedroom for when they want to watch documentaries. Not sure what they're trying to achieve really. The child is rather rude and so hey, they're not totally perfect parents either.

I used to have Mr Tumble and another couple of lovely cbeebies shows (whole series) recorded and so I would pick and choose what the children watched depending on what we had been interested in that day. For example, if it was pouring with rain, or if we had found lots of mini beasts in the garden that morning, or if one of the children had been on a boat at the weekend then I would be able to find a show that linked to it. I honestly feel my daughter and mindees learnt a lot through television, just as adults learn a lot through watching a documentary.

Be confident that a little tv time at your house is not a bad thing and you will not be changing your practice, so I would honestly tell her (politely, but straight up) that she needs to decide whether or not yours is the right setting for her or not. My parents also soon realise that there is no way we sit around watching tv all day because the children come home with muddy wellies, lots of art work and tales of their adventures in the park etc.

I did have one child who absolutely was not interested in tv and would carry on playing if ever it was on. Totally fine by me - I never forced them to watch tv!

Ask her what her concerns are specifically.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they want 100% TV-free then you are not the right setting for her.
    We are 100% TV-free but never had it as a request from parents (although they all like the fact that we are).
    Don't stress about it, just be honest and wish her good luck finding suitable childcare elsewhere.

5. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tell her that I wasn't the setting for her if she wanted 100% no tv.

It's not on very much here but it is on occasionally. Like in mornings my own son watches it before school, it's his house and he puts up with a lot with having all sorts of kids here so I think he's entitled to watch 30 minutes of tv while they're here in mornings.

After that it's not really on much during the day, some days it's not on at all, some days it's on a lot more than others (like yesterday due to constant rain for example!)

I find by a Thursday the kids are all shattered after school etc that sometimes putting a movie on for them stops all the needless bickering etc. We as adults have days where we just want to veg out so I don't feel it should be any different for children.

7. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other replies. If parents want no TV at all, I'm not the right setting for them. I wouldn't go to the trouble of giving them exact viewing hours as I wouldn't be able to. Some weeks we won't watch TV at all, but other weeks we might have it on most days. It depends on so many things. Parents have to trust me that the TV isn't on all day and that the children aren't sat in front of it all day. If that isn't enough for them they would need to look elsewhere.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me guess they only have one child lol?
    I once had a parent want me to guarantee we never celebrated Halloween as they were christians and against it. I had to tell her straight that we celebrate all types of festivals from all cultures and I couldn't change that iust for one child. Think you're best laughing that one off hun. You can't change how u roll just because one parent doesnt like it. They will be very lucky to find a cm that never uses the tv. Even nurseries use it at times.
    Blondes have more fun!

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This one is a tall order. Some of my schoolies like to watch tv others not. Each day/week is different. At the moment my lo's watch 'Melody' and 'Magic Hands'. My inspection before last, 2011, the Inspector told me to put the tv on to distract the lo's so she could talk to me. Each setting is different, each day different. Good luck.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've had an enquiry from a parent who's baby had never watched tv (all good) so wanted to know that it would never be on in my setting. I've said they watch in moderation as I look after all ages. They want me to give an exact figure or idea but it's just not that clear cut, it can depend on so many factors. I know lots of people are completely no/anti tv which I completely respect and understand and that's great but I'm not and my gut tells me my setting may not be exactly what they're looking for. What would you do?
    The mum has been completely honest with you and It's obviously an issue for them as a family so you need to say as you have said to us you can't give an definite amount because of different factors.

Sometimes we can't accommodate every parent requirement.

My TV has been on more for the afterschoolies because they are enjoying the euros but all by LO's know that 5 they can have paw patrol on for the last half hour.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Just be completely honest (in fact, you already have been) that you do alow children to watch TV in moderation but don't have fixed times, as you're flexible to the children's needs and circumstances.

Mum may decide you're not the right CM for her and go elsewhere. Mum is free to choose an alternative, and see how it works out. But do not take that as meaning you're not an excellent CM.

As an aside, I wonder what she will get in reality. I recall being at a social evening with a CM group and the subject came up. There were about 2 dozen of us there and I was surprised to find that nearly all the CMs told parents they never had the tv on during working hours. (Surprised because I do use it sparingly and am quite open about it.) But of those who said they never used TV, only one claimed that was actually true!!!

This is kind-of supported by my last inspector who laughed when she read my SEF. In it, I "confessed" to making some use of TV. She said I was the first CM she'd met in years who was open about it. Virtually all settings she inspects claim never to use it - and some even throw a blanket over the tv during inspection.

If a family has a strict "no TV" rule, fair enough - they need to find the right setting. But I'd also want them to be fair and consistent about this at home too. I frankly get fed up of parents who have one rule for the child at home and a much higher expectation of their childcare setting. I think we've probably all encountered this whether it's TV, screen-time, healthy eating, behaviour, or exercise, etc. etc. etc.

15. Likes Bluebell, FloraDora, mama2three liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting thread.
    I hold my hands up to being a family/ parent who restricted to viewing to my lads.

But, I chose what they could watch and when and they were not TV banned, just thought about.

I personally am not a turn the tv on every night person. I do watch tv when there is something I like, as does DH ( Euro 2016 as an example) but we have lots of other interests so tv is not our automatic default.
    I have friends and family who turn the tv on first thing in the morning.....press controls until they find an interesting things to watch all night, record everything, in case they might want to watch something in the future....

No one pattern is best, it's all about what suits you....until I stay with said friends and I end up hiding the controls!

Everybody is different...TV would be a question I would ask about....I then would decide that the person would be suitable or not, some of my friends and families wouldn't bat an eyelid on TV use.

As an ex school teacher, tv during the day, unless, as Maza mentioned it is linked with the curriculum, is a big no no, an occupier.
    To others, it is part of normal life.
    The parents need to ask these questions, not in any 'what is better than others' - it's purely a case of different things suit different people, nothing is right or wrong- just ....what suits.

17. Likes bunyip, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumofone - sorry to be dragging up another of your old threads lol!

I've just been told by a prospective parent that they don't allow their child to watch any tv, so I thought I would look on here to see what other people have said in that situation. Your thread came up - and the first response was my own, lol! Wonder if I will be brave enough to say what I recommended here!

Out of interest mumofone - was this the same parent from the other old thread? I think that was a thread about settling in sessions... In my case it is the same parent.

19. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we watch tv/youtube, and I tell all parents that! not lots, but we do watch!

I usually try to link it to something we've been doing, but on a friday afternoon, I have a 4 yr old who has been at school most of the week, and me all day, and by about 2pm just needs 30/40 mins to 'zone out'. I put cbeebies on and he sits like a zombie watching it ( and actually, usually falls asleep! ) The other children aren't bothered and don't want to watch, and get on with playing in the playroom. It is also out 'after tea treat' on a thursday, although, now the weather is getting better, we probably won't put it on so much. We've been watching 'big top academy' and admiring all the circus tricks or we put scoobydoo on. I was introduced to 'ladybug and cat noir' when i had just one schoolie, but i never understood it

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear Maza, it does sound like you'd have your work cut out with that family!

23. Likes Pixie dust, Maza liked this post