Adult initiated activities - under 3's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adult initiated activities - under 3's

What adult initiated activities do you do with your under 3's? When they can't have a conversation yet and can't sit for periods of time?
    I feel I'm not focusing them if I simply let them play but any activity I set up is a bit of a waste of time as their attention span is so short etc

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

reading stories, singing songs, building towers, doing puzzles together, playing with small world together, playing in the water together everything & anything!

generally I set up an activity and start playing and my LOs come to see, or, I set up an activity, and when they start to play with it, I join in, modelling ideas/language etc

today, the 'adult initiated activity' was a walk to feed the ducks!
    Last edited by loocyloo; 10-05-2016 at 01:52 PM.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it can be hard to catch the interest of children so young but should we be expecting them to focus so intently at such a young age.

Try not to let the length of time an activity has taken dictate whether you think its a success on not 5 minutes listening to a story is the same as a 4 year listening to an entire book and reacting to it but more importantly they are learning how to listen to a story.

Also what started as an adult initiated activity can quickly become a child initiated when they take something and play with it in a entirely different way
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes loocyloo, bunyip, Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    What adult initiated activities do you do with your under 3's? When they can't have a conversation yet and can't sit for periods of time?
    I feel I'm not focusing them if I simply let them play but any activity I set up is a bit of a waste of time as their attention span is so short etc
    That's the beauty of under 3s...their language and communication is about to explode with the right support...the whole holistic development is very rewarding to watch.

Giving the right support and scaffolding will also increase their attention span...if they are 'interested' they will also engage.
    Any under 3 must have the opportunity to develop their communication skills
    look up any Child development or even the good old DM for examples....oh! and the good old National Strategies!

Look up the latest reports on children delay in speech and arriving at school 'not ready'...that will help...one came out this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    it can be hard to catch the interest of children so young but should we be expecting them to focus so intently at such a young age. Try not to let the length of time an activity has taken dictate whether you think its a success on not 5 minutes listening to a story is the same as a 4 year listening to an entire book and reacting to it but more importantly they are learning how to listen to a story. Also what started as an adult initiated activity can quickly become a child initiated when they take something and play with it in a entirely different way
    Thanks fussy, what happens if ofsted come though and see them just playing, I'm worried they'll say they're not learning :-(

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks fussy, what happens if ofsted come though and see them just playing, I'm worried they'll say they're not learning :-(
    But playing is learning and for ones so small the best way of learning.

Ok so I have a mindee here today playing with the my little people superhero toys. Yes he is playing but so much more is going on his imagination is going wild batman has been on any travels to find the joker.
    The fine motor skills he is using to wind the hoist on the helicopter and turn the key to make the car move.
    His language trying to say I am batman in a very deep voice.
    Believe me those are the few things I have observed just watching him then.
    Sit and observe your children then look at what they are actually doing - you will see that's it's not just playing and that's what you have to say to your inspector when the time comes
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What adult initiated activities do you do with your under 3's? When they can't have a conversation yet and can't sit for periods of time? I feel I'm not focusing them if I simply let them play but any activity I set up is a bit of a waste of time as their attention span is so short etc
    Adult initiated activities don't have to involve sitting for periods of time. Under threes aren't designed to sit for periods of time and so activities shouldn't require them to do that either. Think about the activities you would naturally plan for your own child if you weren't a childminder - going to feed the ducks, running barefoot on grass, splashing in puddles, playing with noisy toys, exploring filling and emptying containers...You definitely have to focus a lot on creating an enabling environment rather than specific activities - so, how does your environment support a child who is just beginning to cruise around?
    How did you communicate with your child before you could actually hold a conversation with him? I bet you did a lot more than you realise and a decent inspector should be able to spot all of these things without the children sitting down for periods of time.

10. Likes mama2three, FloraDora liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

At my last ofsted inspection (7 hours!) I forgot to do an activity with the children. We were too busy playing😄

The inspector didn't seem to mind.

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Isn't that what the EYFS is all about? play based learning?
    Please do not worry about Ofsted....you are the one showing the evidence how your children are progressing and why.

Play is an activity in itself.

Also remember an inspection...if we are lucky...happens every 4 years...what happens between that time is important.

Good luck.

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When you talk to the inspector don't put 'just' before the word playing...take that word out and you have raised playing to its true status....
    Lots of good advice around the importance of play and an enabling environment, the other key is your role in their play, interaction that helps move the play forward or allows some next step coverage ideas to come in to their play and equally important, stepping back and allowing their play to develop without you.

Open Learn, free online extracts from courses from the Open University - that also acknowledge your completion for your CPD folder have a good module 'The role of play in children's learning':
    The role of play in children's learning - OpenLearn - Open University - E215_1

16. Likes Maza, Dragonfly, Lal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    When you talk to the inspector don't put 'just' before the word playing...take that word out and you have raised playing to its true status.... Lots of good advice around the importance of play and an enabling environment, the other key is your role in their play, interaction that helps move the play forward or allows some next step coverage ideas to come in to their play and equally important, stepping back and allowing their play to develop without you. Open Learn, free online extracts from courses from the Open University - that also acknowledge your completion for your CPD folder have a good module 'The role of play in children's learning': The role of play in children's learning - OpenLearn - Open University - E215_1
    Thanks flora, wise advice, I did that OU course and it was good, despite treating I still doubt/worry myself!!