Do I need to give notice?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to give notice?

I have looked after a little girl for a year and everything was fine until probably 4+ months ago when mum started having personal problems and would either turn up really late to drop off or just not come at all. I wouldn't get a phone call or text to say she wasn't coming and even though I reminded her time and time again to inform me if she wasn't bringing her nothing changed. So I took to going out if she wasn't with me half an hour after her appointed time as the other children were missing out as we had been waiting in. Sometimes I would then get a call ' I'm outside, are you in?' but the message didn't seem to get through when I said I thought you weren't coming as it's so late now. Since Christmas I think she has only turned up once or twice and I'm holding a place that others are requesting. So do I need to give notice or because she has broken the contract or can I give her place away?

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

How frustrating for you
    How has she broken the contract?
    Has she been paying the fees she owes as per contract?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a contract in place you would need to give notice, even if they aren't turning up very often.

Is the contract for set hours? Does mum still pay for any days when they don't turn up?

Are you willing to give 4 weeks notice (or whatever it says in your contracts) or do you want it to be immediate? For 4 weeks notice you can send a letter, but for immediate notice I would check with your insurance company and see if you have grounds for immediate dismissal.

You say mum is having personal problems and you have tried talking to her. Perhaps a formal notice letter might be enough to make her see that she needs to be letting you know whether or not her child will be attending each day.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Check you contracts; check with your insurer; check with your LSCB.

Some contracts (eg. pacey's - see page 4) state that a CM can give immediate notice if a child fails to attend for a specified number of days with no communication.

Some local safeguarding boards consider regular or prolonged unannounced absence to be a risk indicator, so would expect you to report and log as a concern.

5. Likes Tealady liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Check you contracts; check with your insurer; check with your LSCB. Some contracts (eg. pacey's - see page 4) state that a CM can give immediate notice if a child fails to attend for a specified number of days with no communication. Some local safeguarding boards consider regular or prolonged unannounced absence to be a risk indicator, so would expect you to report and log as a concern.

If she is receiving early years funding, you will probably need to let the funding people at your LA know. They are also interested in periods of absence.

7. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    If she is receiving early years funding, you will probably need to let the funding people at your LA know. They are also interested in periods of absence.
    Very good point, particularly as EY funded parents frequently treat childcare settings with a "come as you please" attitude.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I think I will get my old attendance register out and check the last time she came (just started a new register) and then ring my LA.Yes Bunyip she is funded and I have already spoken to the FIS as she missed lots of sessions to the end of the summer as I wasn't sure if I owed her these hours as not had this before, but they said no if she is on set hours and days she will forfeit them (which she is).Quite frankly it's gone beyond annoying now as I have others waiting and desperate for the place and I think because she isn't paying probably isn't too concerned about it. She still comes under the 2 year old funding so that's why I spoke to the FIS. It will be sad to see the girl go as I felt we had made good progress with her as she now doesn't drink only coke, says please and thank you and tells her family to sit at the table to eat! I'll see what FIS/LA say tomorrow as to where I go with this and let you all know.

10. Likes muffins, Kiddleywinks, bunyip liked this post