daily diary and obs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default daily diary and obs

hi all, im doing daily diary and obs in one book. does anyone else do this? hoping its going to save time and lots of faffing about! x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do them as seperate books, but that's not to say your way won't work.

But.............. are you sending the book home with the child each day?

If you are, then you run the risk of several months' observations/learning records being lost at a stroke. I've had clients demonstrate they are entirely capable of losing more than one diary in the space of a twelve-month and tbh the CM frequently cares a lot more than the parents about observations and learning records.

If not, then isn't the potential efficacy of the daily diary rather limited?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do daily diary separately- it goes backwards and forwards everyday and is well used by me and parents. It is an A5 spiral bound notebook but gets tatty and worn, it lasts about 3-4 months until full (only daily notes and chat about our day etc) and parents keep it when it is full. I would be sad if it was my LJ full of obs getting battered and chewed day in day out.

But if you think it'll work for you then give it a go.
    Maybe keep a copy (not sure how, maybe if you do it on PC and print?) as it is likely to get lost or eaten by the dog at some point and then you would be stuck if you have lost all your obs!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I do, it's a online Lj and I add a daily diary entry each day, link to any areas of learning and development and only add next steps when a wow moment happen that day, so much easier all don't in one go, no need to print out, parents see it all daily.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah exactly and if parents are careless enough to lose it i feel as if thats their loss!? x

6. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

But it would be 'Sods Law' that they lose it just before your Ofsted inspection...
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

i was actually so surprised by the amount of paperwork ofsted informed me you don't 'have' to do! x

Post Thanks / Like

What paperwork have ofsted said we don't 'have' to do?

Simona Guest

Music to my ears!!!
    ...not just this Tribal or Prospects inspector said it ....but many well known trainers and providers I have spoken to say that cms 'do too much paperwork'

unfortunately in this forum a lot of it is recommended that is just never needed and will only waste inspection time....sorry but this is for cms' benefit so they stop feeling pressured and look again at EYFS

The only paperwork we are required to do is that in the EYFS...Ofsted have no right to see what is not required and would not ask if challenged. ...but maybe this is a fore-warning they are seeing too muck bureaucracy in cms' folders.

maybe my lonely voice in this forum ...which is always raising the concern too much paperwork is done 'just in case' and for Ofsted's benefit...will be listened to now and hopefully some cms may 'review' their portfolio and step back.

Good luck!

Simona Guest

I wonder if anyone could clarify where it is required ...or even why observations would be recorded in a daily diary?

genuine question in view of the comment below...diaries are not compulsory...observations are not compulsory to write down...if you could clarify it would help a lot.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I wonder if anyone could clarify where it is required ...or even why observations would be recorded in a daily diary? genuine question in view of the comment below...diaries are not compulsory...observations are not compulsory to write down...if you could clarify it would help a lot. Thank you
    If observations aren't compulsory to write down then how do we form a learning journey.

And why do we all learning journeys if they're not required?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    If observations aren't compulsory to write down then how do we form a learning journey.

And why do we all learning journeys if they're not required?
    Sorry Mumofone...it would be better explained in the EYFS...if you can find where it states they have to be in writing?
    What is required is on-going formative assessment and a short summary of the learning in whatever way you prefer to present it.

LJs are done because we need a way to record the progress and share the 'evidence'...why they are called LJs I don't know...mine have a different name
    One person called LJ and all followed...one person said online LJs are good and many followed.
    many people record all obs...many follow this...I have never done ...but as you know we all do things differently

maybe you could approach your EY team and ask for clarification on this
    The comment was about general paperwork 'not required' but which cms do.

The OP would know better what that inspector told her was 'too much'..it would be wonderful if it was shared but it is up to her.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Simona; 13-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sorry Mumofone...it would be better explained in the EYFS...if you can find where it states they have to be in writing? What is required is on-going formative assessment and a short summary of the learning in whatever way you prefer to present it. LJs are done because we need a way to record the progress and share the 'evidence'...why they are called LJs I don't know...mine have a different name One person called LJ and all followed...one person said online LJs are good and many followed. many people record all obs...many follow this...I have never done ...but as you know we all do things differently maybe you could approach your EY team and ask for clarification on this The comment was about general paperwork 'not required' but which cms do. The OP would know better what that inspector told her was 'too much'..it would be wonderful if it was shared but it is up to her. Good luck!

You said observations are not required in writing. So from that do I assume that you don't write any observations down?

Just a question that you don't have to answer if you don't wish, just interested..

Simona Guest

You said observations are not required in writing. So from that do I assume that you don't write any observations down?

Just a question that you don't have to answer if you don't wish, just interested..
    As per EYFS I do ongoing formative assessment which is around the learning/steps I want to record and that which is emerging or exceeding which informs my child's planning
    From that I can do a summary of that learning ...then move on from those steps and plan new ones with the parents

I think it is how you interpret EYFS...and it does leave us the option to be individual while complying....it is not necessary to write all obs down in your LJs.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to know how easy someone found communicating during inspection with no written obs or LJ. I know that it's not required, but you'd have to have a fantastic memory and a brilliant ability to vocalise your thoughts, surely.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I'd be interested to know how easy someone found communicating during inspection with no written obs or LJ. I know that it's not required, but you'd have to have a fantastic memory and a brilliant ability to vocalise your thoughts, surely.
    Sorry if I have confused you.

I do have a record ...it is not called a LJ...it is self devised but still online.
    I do have obs but not written down in the way others do
    My inspection gave me ample time to explain but the summary of learning was the evidence backed up by the obs.
    What that really wonderful inspector said was 'many obs are to be kept in your head'

All inspector must give ample opportunity for communicating during inspection

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification Simona.

I wasn't just referring to your situation, anyone really who decided to keep all of their mindees developmental progress and achievements in their head. (If these kind of Childminders exist)

I have training tonight on Observation, Assessment and Planning. I'll put out feelers and ask others to see if anyone has quite a paper free system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Simona. I wasn't just referring to your situation, anyone really who decided to keep all of their mindees developmental progress and achievements in their head. (If these kind of Childminders exist) I have training tonight on Observation, Assessment and Planning. I'll put out feelers and ask others to see if anyone has quite a paper free system.
    This is the training I want to go on but my LA charge for it and I don't want to pay! I'd be interested to hear your feedback on it greenfaerie :-) x

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the training I want to go on but my LA charge for it and I don't want to pay! I'd be interested to hear your feedback on it greenfaerie :-) x
    Oddly enough this is the only training that my LA is putting on that's free! O_o It's a two evening course, with the second being on Feb 10th. I can share some of the stuff then if you'd like?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do monthly written obs and I'm seriously thinking of scrapping them. For me, I feel I'm writing them down for the sake of it. I have a book with each child's name in and every month I write something in it which I've noticed and link it, with next steps.

I know the children as I spend so much time with them so, I've not written any since November mainly because I've not had time. Been so busy with working, Christmas and now were half way through Jan already

I think I'm going to stop writing them down although I've just had an inspection so I feel the 'weight is off' for a while, which isn't a good attitude to have I suppose but I was only writing them down for the sake of the Inspector.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast