1 year old who's just started biting!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy 1 year old who's just started biting!

I've a 1 year old mindee who has just started biting! I've been looking up ideas etc. but thought that some of you would have experienced this before??? I've had the odd one over the years but this has happened a lot in the last week and managed to prevent it mostly but one child had a marked bite bruise on her arm and it was awful!!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not an easy one to deal with and I'm not sure I have the best advice but didn't want to read and run. I would suggest that you shadow the biter all the time - make sure they are never left alone - to try and prevent another incident. If it does happen, a firm 'no' and then remove the child away from the child they have bitten. Good luck.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way I've dealt with a biter is to shadow constantly and recognise the signs just before they bite, intervene before they do it and deal with accordingly.

Don't leave the biter while you go out the room, toilet etc as you may come back to a bite.

Its hard at first but they will soon start to understand that biting someone isn't a good idea, but it has to be consistent and you have to deal with every bite the same
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said - shadow them all of the time. If you are changing someone else's nappy or doing something where you wouldn't be able to intervene at that split second then put the biter in a highchair, travel cot, jumparoo etc until you have finished your chore.

Obviously look for triggers, but sometimes there aren't triggers at this age and it is almost a sign of affection.

In the meantime, do provide lots of safe biting toys. x