Plastic v's wood
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic v's wood

I know this has been talked about before but does anyone know of any proven research or other literature that supports that wood is better than plastic? Thank you :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of views available if you google it- I like this one which cover the main benefits I think:

7 Reasons Why You Should Have Wooden Toys - Natural Parenting Tips

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Lots of views available if you google it- I like this one which cover the main benefits I think: 7 Reasons Why You Should Have Wooden Toys - Natural Parenting Tips
    Thanks moggy, ive seen this one before, I was after something more official (not sure who would write such a thing).

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That article has made me a bit twitchy, especially the last point. :S My daughter has learned a great deal from plastic interactive toys. She's been picking up phonics, letter recognition and rhyming since she was 2. I prefer a balance of natural, plastic and purely open ended resources.

I do like the look of wooden toys though, very smart.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    That article has made me a bit twitchy, especially the last point. :S My daughter has learned a great deal from plastic interactive toys. She's been picking up phonics, letter recognition and rhyming since she was 2. I prefer a balance of natural, plastic and purely open ended resources.

I do like the look of wooden toys though, very smart.
    Yes, a balance, of course, is usually the way to go! And where would we be without Lego? I think that may be why there is little 'scientific' research- there is no scientific answer, there are benefits of both in certain situations. In some play situations wood is not ideal (wet/muddy/outdoors- wood does rot, plastic does not), but in some situations wood is great. And I still love Lego.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post