Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new enquiry -interested in your thoughts

Morning, I've just had a call for a 10 month old Mon-fri 7- 9.30 am,

What's your thoughts.?

I'm thinking yes as I've had nothing but time wasters recently I've still only got the one mindee who starts at 9.30 twice a week, so if this lo starts then by the time he goes I'll still have a chance to have another from 9.30/10?
    by the time he would have breakfast and a play etc it'll be time to pick up! Then I'm free for the day for other possibilities

What do you think? Yes no? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have only got one child twice a week I'd be tempted to take this one on, quite often part timers end up needing more or family is so impressed they pass on your details.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Morning, I've just had a call for a 10 month old Mon-fri 7- 9.30 am,

What's your thoughts.?

I'm thinking yes as I've had nothing but time wasters recently I've still only got the one mindee who starts at 9.30 twice a week, so if this lo starts then by the time he goes I'll still have a chance to have another from 9.30/10?
    by the time he would have breakfast and a play etc it'll be time to pick up! Then I'm free for the day for other possibilities

What do you think? Yes no? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this
    Yes I would do it, my way of working is - if I have the space and it's not a really inconvenient request e.g 6.00a.m. start!!! then I do it. I have had many over the years as Blue Bear says that only want one morning a week for example and then go on to need much more. The beauty of this enquiry is as you say you would not be holding a whole day space so are free to take on another child.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree, well I've given them more information and dad said he will speak to mum and let me know, then we can book a viewing and settling in sessions as wants to start next Monday.

Hopefully something will come from it as I've had so many people not get back to me. I want a change of luck!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are:

7am is an early start, for me anyway! I do 7.30 starts 4 days a week and that's early enough, especially if you don't finish until late. Personally I wouldn't do a 7am start 5 days a week, but that's just my choice and I know many cms are happy to start that early.

It could work well if you have a 9.30 starter at least 2 days a week, but what happens if one was late leaving and the other early arriving? Would you be ok possibly having them both at the same time if you also got more work?

What would be the chances of you finding another family that need a 9.30/10am start? If you can hold out for the right hours it can definitely work though. I often take on the odd hours that no one else wants and it's surprising how many times you can slot children in to the odd hours you've got free.

On the plus side, 9.30 is a good time for an arrival or departure. It won't eat into your morning like a 10.30am start would, for example, which might prevent you from going out to groups etc. At 9.30 you've still got plenty of time to go out and you needn't feel restricted.

it may lead to more hours. A few years ago I had a baby start doing just 2 hours a day, twice a week. He liked it here so much, and his mum loved him being here, so they increased his hours to 2 full days.

I would guess the family may find it difficult to find someone who is willing to do those hours. If you decide to do it explain to them how you will try to find someone to fill the space from 9.30am onwards, but if that proves impossible you may have to reconsider their hours. I would never give notice to a short hours contract just because something better came along, but I think it's fair to explain to parents from the start that you might not be able to continue indefinitely if their hours prevented you from filling the rest of your day.

7. Likes Maza, FloraDora, hectors house liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on a few things...
    How do you feel about starting at 7am 5 days a week? Would you therefore decide to finish earlier too? This may impact on who else you can take on.
    How does your family feel about it? My oh wouldn't like it as he likes to get ready and leave before I start work so earliest I start is 7:15.
    Personally I think finishing at 9:30 works quite well as doesnt interfere with school run and still reasonable time to go out too. I have children that start at 9:30. If they want a later start then they have to come later than school run anyway and so it would work for me.
    I charge more before 8 therefore it makes it more worthwhile too.
    If I was busy I don't think I would take it on personally but if quiet like you then why not? I've often adjusted what times and days I work depending on enquiries although it does make me rethink what else I will offer for further enquiries.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

You should think about how much you are going to charge? With those hours, I suspect one of the parents is on some sort of shift work.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't x

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I think I would only do it if I charged my half day rate. (And make it clear that the parents were free to use the rest of the morning) Since I don't charge hourly. Plus I'd charge the extra 30 mins for early opening. :S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone it's great to hear both for/against - they've not returned my message any way ........

Post Thanks / Like

Update!

Mum has got back to me - really wants child to start......
    Then I've had conversations with another family want 2 siblings 18 months and 3 years 3 days a week 3-6! 1 of those days I have a mindee go home at 2.30 so that would work.

I'm having no luck lately with enquiries etc so I'm really tempted just to say yes to both families, I've added up their bill each month and I'm happy with that. What do u think ?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the logistics and money works for you, go for it!
    I always find it easier to get more children when I have some than I did when I didn't have any lol

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update!

Mum has got back to me - really wants child to start......
    Then I've had conversations with another family want 2 siblings 18 months and 3 years 3 days a week 3-6! 1 of those days I have a mindee go home at 2.30 so that would work.

I'm having no luck lately with enquiries etc so I'm really tempted just to say yes to both families, I've added up their bill each month and I'm happy with that. What do u think ?
    i agree with Kiddlywinks ... if it works for you, then go for it! if it gives you a little freedom during the day, to get stuff done as well, then it sounds ok. I have quite a few children who only come school hours, so you might find other children fit into the gap you've got!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

i agree with Kiddlywinks ... if it works for you, then go for it! if it gives you a little freedom during the day, to get stuff done as well, then it sounds ok. I have quite a few children who only come school hours, so you might find other children fit into the gap you've got!
    Yes that's what I was thinking it gives me the option to have the day free, or if I do want to full the spaces then the extra money will be a bonus etc

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go for it too... But just make sure you quote with the thought of... If one leaves I still need to be happy with what I have been left with. So consider a slightly higher figure than the actual hours used? That's just me though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm. ... mum just rang back it wouldn't be every day 7-9.30 as she just works shifts so sometimes it may be 2 days or 3 days a week. But they would be different each week, what would u do? She said she would know 2 weeks in advance,

Again thoughts
    Anyone do this? Charge as and when required?

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh this may give you some hastle! I do this for over 8s and works fine but for a EYFS you may regret it down the line. I can work with odd hours or shift work - but both together. My advice is to think it through and make sure you're happy with all possible outcomes before you commit. Good luck x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm. ... mum just rang back it wouldn't be every day 7-9.30 as she just works shifts so sometimes it may be 2 days or 3 days a week. But they would be different each week, what would u do? She said she would know 2 weeks in advance,

Again thoughts
    Anyone do this? Charge as and when required?
    So if the 2 or 3 days could be randomly over the whole week it will block that morning place everyday- you could not take a 8.30 or 9am start in that EYFS place at all.
    Unless you are looking for a quiet life I would not do it (but then I am always looking for maximum income from my precious 3x EYFS places!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post

So if the 2 or 3 days could be randomly over the whole week it will block that morning place everyday- you could not take a 8.30 or 9am start in that EYFS place at all.
    Unless you are looking for a quiet life I would not do it (but then I am always looking for maximum income from my precious 3x EYFS places!)
    Yes it's a complete change of thought now! Yes think I need to continue my quest to find an ey full day space! There must be someone out there for me,,,,,,,! 😢

Isn't it funny how the first phone call from dad - every day mon- fri 10
    Call from mum oh no that's not what we want.......

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's a complete change of thought now! Yes think I need to continue my quest to find an ey full day space! There must be someone out there for me,,,,,,,! 😢

Isn't it funny how the first phone call from dad - every day mon- fri 10
    Call from mum oh no that's not what we want.......
    Sometimes they have to take what you offer rather than what they want - I took on a new baby in January, 3 days a week - mum is teacher in a private school which means they get even more holiday than state schools but I told her that I charge all year round apart from when I'm on holiday and she accepted that. I would tell the parent that you are interested in taking on child but they have to pay for every morning if they can't stick to the same day each week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast