Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default space story!

Hello!

me again, needing help on the book front!

I have a couple of LOs who are 'a touch obsessed' by stars & space and I'm trying to find a good story for them. I've got and we've read lots of non fiction books about stars and space.

'Aliens love underpants' doesn't quite cut it, nor does 'Q pootle 5' , despite being favourites of mine ( !!! ) as they are more about aliens than actual 'space'. I know there is the 'whatever next' by Jill Murphy, but again, that's not quite 'space' ! they are not that bothered about spaceships/rockets/astronauts either!

thank you x

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you make your own space story book about Tim Peake? You could base it on the facts, but let them develop it in to a story.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I love threads like this. I remember when we were all trying to think of a Winter book that didn't involve snow, and a bird book that didn't focus on owls, robins or ducks. Then there was the thread about number songs which didn't involve counting backwards! You'd think the market was flooded but when we dig a little deeper we often find gaps in the market.

I can't think of any off the top of my head - Wanda's Party is a favourite of mine, but again more about an alien than space. I'll have a look in my cupboard later. I've been desperate for DD or mindees to show an interest in this topic and have often tried to get them into it - but none of them have ever really shown an interest, which surprises me. I like learning alongside them.

Would stories about the moon work?

I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happened to Button Moon?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Button moon! An 80's favourite.
    I liked the space craft with a Heinz baked bean tin - was always a brilliant stimulus for junk...sorry recycled material ....modelling. Good for creating Mr Spoon's friends using cheap wooden spoons too.

I use Alien tea on planet Zum Zee a lot.

Alien Tea on Planet Zum-Zee: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Mitton, Guy Parker-Rees: 9781408314135: Books

A Tony Mitton book, a lovely colourful book about Aliens which is great for young children, colourful and lots of rhymes with a nice aside storyline around feelings too.

I have used it to stimulate art and craft, everyone has their favourite alien and alien craft.

Also good to follow up cooking....we made biscuits with weird toppings for our alien party.

We made alien music from this as well......around keeping a steady beat as I read it, the children experimented with different percussion instruments.....for 3+ We imagined music for each alien, low sounds for the big one and high for the tiny aliens.
    I also made some alien smelling pots, you will see why when you read the book, the LO's enjoyed smelling different smells and my 4 year olds matched the pairs of smells.

Starts about a planet...then goes off into an imaginative alien party so not brilliant for space....but Definately good for alien focus.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 29-01-2017 at 03:14 PM.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Button moon! An 80's favourite.
    I liked the space craft with a Heinz baked bean tin - was always a brilliant stimulus for junk...sorry recycled material ....modelling. Good for creating Mr Spoon's friends using cheap wooden spoons too.

I use Alien tea on planet Zum Zee a lot.

Alien Tea on Planet Zum-Zee: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Mitton, Guy Parker-Rees: 9781408314135: Books

A Tony Mitton book, a lovely colourful book about Aliens which is great for young children, colourful and lots of rhymes with a nice aside storyline around feelings too.

I have used it to stimulate art and craft, everyone has their favourite alien and alien craft.

Also good to follow up cooking....we made biscuits with weird toppings for our alien party.

We made alien music from this as well......around keeping a steady beat as I read it, the children experimented with different percussion instruments.....for 3+ We imagined music for each alien, low sounds for the big one and high for the tiny aliens.
    I also made some alien smelling pots, you will see why when you read the book, the LO's enjoyed smelling different smells and my 4 year olds matched the pairs of smells.

Starts about a planet...then goes off into an imaginative alien party so not brilliant for space....but Definately good for alien focus.
    I'd forgotten about ' Alien tea ' ... i love that one too, but it's Aliens!
    Button Moon is great for recycling projects too.

I've had an Eric Carle story suggested ... 'papa get the moon for me' . I've never seen it but on research it's about the moon? Anyone know it?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I'd forgotten about ' Alien tea ' ... i love that one too, but it's Aliens!
    Button Moon is great for recycling projects too.

I've had an Eric Carle story suggested ... 'papa get the moon for me' . I've never seen it but on research it's about the moon? Anyone know it?
    I was thinking about that one. I used to have it, can't find it now. I also had it on 'video'! Maybe it is on youtube. It could be called 'Let's Lasso the Moon' - or is that a different story?

I also quite like 'The Way Back Home' by Oliver Jeffries (or something like that...).

I do have a few books about stars, but not really in the space sense - Laura's Star, Catch a Falling Star, The Star that Fell...

I usually like to throw in a poem too whenever we have a bit of a theme going on. Can't think of any off the top of my head and can't access my book cupboard as DD is building something in front of it as we speak, but you might come up with something on google.

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd forgotten about ' Alien tea ' ... i love that one too, but it's Aliens!!

My apologies, I had just got in, no excuse for not reading your post properly!

So moon and stars?

I like this one :

How to Catch a Star: Amazon.co.uk: Oliver Jeffers: 9780007150342: Books

Wonderful illustrations, very simple - I find LO's are often drawn to Oliver Jeffer’s books.

Man on the Moon by Simon Bartram –
    Man on the Moon (Bartram, Simon Series): Amazon.co.uk: Simon Bartram: 9781840114911: Books

A picture book about a man called Bob. It isn't factual as Bob looks after the moon and hates aliens. There is a series of them, got nominated for an award a couple of years back. Great for dressing up stimulus and role play corner around space that LO's can take part in i.e they can do all the usual home corner role play but have the exciting getting to space aspect.

I love Jacquie Mittons illustrations
    Once Upon a Starry Night: Amazon.co.uk: Jacqueline Mitton, Christina Balit: 9781845070731: Books

Could be a read aloud and paraphrase book for LO's as the pictures are great. I have used it with 6+ before.

Malaria Blackman has written a space themed book in the Corgi plus scheme - might be a bit old too though.

Space Race (Corgi Pups) eBook: Malorie Blackman, Colin Mier: Amazon.co.uk: Books

The Eric Carle book can be found as a you tube story, it's a good story too, but The darkness of the sky and torn paper images are not my favourite.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 29-01-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Star That Fell (Picture Ladybirds): Amazon.co.uk: Karen Hayles, Cliff Wright: 9780721418643: Books Another sweet book about a star - not sure it fits into the space theme as such though.

Laura's Star and one of the Oliver Jeffers books (either 'How to Catch a Star' or 'The Way Back Home') can be found on youtube too.

If you do come across a good one let us know!

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at stars over the last week or two with my lot after a little one was captivated by one particularly starry night. We have got how to catch a star , and the way back home , by oliver jeffers , draw me a a star by eric carle , exploring space ( interact ladders) , why do stars twinkle? and our favourite is katie and the starry night by james mayhew. Im going to look up a couple of the others mentioned o this thread too ...
    The artwork and creativity inspired by these books has been wonderful , way beyond anything i could have ''planned'' ,
    Last edited by mama2three; 30-01-2017 at 08:05 AM.

16. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I have been looking at stars over the last week or two with my lot after a little one was captivated by one particularly starry night. We have got how to catch a star , and the way back home , by oliver jeffers , draw me a a star by eric carle , exploring space ( interact ladders) , why do stars twinkle? and our favourite is katie and the starry night by james mayhew. Im going to look up a couple of the others mentioned o this thread too ...
    The artwork and creativity inspired by these books has been wonderful , way beyond anything i could have ''planned'' ,
    Lovely. Thank you x