Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby or toddlers?

Hi
    I am currently trying to fill a Monday to Wednesday space. I have two children aged between 22 and 34 months.

I have a 8m baby wanting Monday and Tuesday and two families with 2yr old wanting a Tuesday or Wednesday.

I like the idea of only filling 2 days, but can't decide whether to take on a baby or 2 families. With the toddlers I would have 5 families on my books, 3 children coming only one day a week - will the new ones settle? Is it hard to juggle 5 families? Would 3 toddlers each day be easier than 2 and a baby?

I'm not used to being so in demand. Even wondering if I should say no to all and wait for another enquiry. Seems to be lots of people looking at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

its just personal preference I think a baby for one day would be hardwork settling wise as appose to an older child. and potentially 3 2yo could play wonderfully together or.... might not! I adore babies they are totally my 'niche' and I wish I could just have 3 babies a day! x

3. Likes gef918 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    Hi I am currently trying to fill a Monday to Wednesday space. I have two children aged between 22 and 34 months. I have a 8m baby wanting Monday and Tuesday and two families with 2yr old wanting a Tuesday or Wednesday. I like the idea of only filling 2 days, but can't decide whether to take on a baby or 2 families. With the toddlers I would have 5 families on my books, 3 children coming only one day a week - will the new ones settle? Is it hard to juggle 5 families? Would 3 toddlers each day be easier than 2 and a baby? I'm not used to being so in demand. Even wondering if I should say no to all and wait for another enquiry. Seems to be lots of people looking at the moment.
    Personally I would prob go with the two 2
    Year olds, bearing in mind it's not always that straight forward you might find one wants to go with you and one doesn't. Or see all three families and see who you gel with best. The age gap would be easier to manage (big gap between an 8 m old and a 34 m old.. Just thinking in terms of baby napping when you want to be out, needing for a feed when you want to do an activity etc) I have often had three that age and they usually gel well and entertain each other very well! All walking which makes trips out easier, probably able to climb in and out of high chairs / car seats (can you tell my back is sore this am lol?!) if you can get something that fits around your current mindees time wise I would go for it, I have four mindees currently coming across the week each between a half day a week to four days a week.. I find very few enquiries for full time and it can be quite a while before something else fits. Just my experience! Also at that age more likely to settle with no real problems, have probably been used to mum going and coming back and understand more. I find 9-18 months are the sticky age and would take on one more than 18 months with very few worries. Good luck!!

5. Likes gef918 liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At the moment I have 5 eyfs children on my books but I loose 3 to school in September and this eventually will happen to you (2/3 children disappearing at once to school - spaces to fill). So I would probably take on the 8 month old. Plus do you provide funding? The 34 month old will be eligible for funding after Easter. Will you provide it or will they go to another provider for it, stay with you the remaining hours of childcare or will you loose them entirely? Think ahead to see if you could imagine your days with the different scenerios of children.

7. Likes Jessymax, gef918 liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. The separation anxiety does worry me. I also remember saying I would never have another baby again. I just can't remember why. They're so cute! And can't be that much harder, can they?

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a baby 2 days a week, and while she is beautiful and very sweet-natured, I find it much much harder trying to run an early years setting when you've got toddlers plus a babe-in-arms. Life is just more difficult on those days. I'd totally choose the toddlers if it was me

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would choose the toddlers!
    I have a 12mth baby starting soon and have just loved the last few weeks of being out and about with no buggies/bottles etc!
    Although I do love the littlies and you get longer with them!

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm going to say no to one toddler - short term and hard work. Other toddler will settle quickly and easily, mum is lovely too. Just have to decide if I want the baby too - would fill all my spaces.

One of my minders is about to have a baby sibling - think he'll struggle having new baby at home and new baby here too.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

If it would fill all your spaces and you need them filled then I'd go for it, the other LO will learn to cope very quickly with that. But if you don't actually "need" to fill your spaces then I say go for the easy life every time, it's what I do!!

13. Likes gef918 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE="redtiger21;1416071"]If it would fill all your spaces and you need them filled then I'd go for it, the other LO will learn to cope very quickly with that. But if you don't actually "need" to fill your spaces then I say go for the easy life every time, it's what I do!![/QUOTE

Hear hear! Four years in and that's where I am at now , finally learning to put myself and my family first sometimes , but I am lucky enough now to be in a better financial situation than I was when I started and that does make all the difference

15. Likes gef918 liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Easy life it is.

For a while anyway.