Who's given parents their holiday dates for 2016 yet??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's given parents their holiday dates for 2016 yet??

How much notice do you give parents of your time off. When do you give them your dates for the year??

xx

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    How much notice do you give parents of your time off. When do you give them your dates for the year??

xx
    I worked mine out before Christmas. However, following a massive clear up - they are nowhere to be found, so I'll have to rework them to give to parents by the end of this week, and hope that version 2 is as good as version 1.

I always try to get them out before Christmas - it gives me something to look forward to. Failed miserably this year, though!

All the best,

LK

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm giving parents my newsletter this week and this has my holiday dates on it for this year. I've said I may take the whole of the Christmas holidays off but will confirm over the summer!
    I may also need to take May half term off, but I don't know yet, so will just tell parents when I know!

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been giving them out thus week. Still a few parents I won't see until Friday though. I always give them put after Christmas holidays as it feels like I have something to look forward to lol
    Tess1981

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we tend to book our holidays quite early , so parents have had 2016 holidays since october 2015.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had anytime off since July, I did mean to take time off in October but then had 2 babies booked for settling in and it seemed mean to tell their parents that after returning to work after maternity leave that I would be taking time off, so I told myself that I would take time off in January for a week abroad for winter sun, but then in Oct i had one parent get made redundant and another moved away so I ended up taking on another baby just started full time this week - so January holiday wasn't going to be convenient either. The new mum works in a private school so they have slightly longer school hols so have just been looking up dates for feb half term, but as I normally give at least 4 months notice (although my contract says I only have to give 4 weeks), I think I will look for Easter instead - but then I have 2 weeks off at end of May/June so don't want to be unreliable!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have given my holiday dates out this week for the year. We aren't planning on actually going away this year but still need to have that time out from work. When I look back at last year I only had 13 days off for the whole year so I have made sure and booked more this year.
    Pixie Dust

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a holiday?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I haven't had anytime off since July, I did mean to take time off in October but then had 2 babies booked for settling in and it seemed mean to tell their parents that after returning to work after maternity leave that I would be taking time off, so I told myself that I would take time off in January for a week abroad for winter sun, but then in Oct i had one parent get made redundant and another moved away so I ended up taking on another baby just started full time this week - so January holiday wasn't going to be convenient either. The new mum works in a private school so they have slightly longer school hols so have just been looking up dates for feb half term, but as I normally give at least 4 months notice (although my contract says I only have to give 4 weeks), I think I will look for Easter instead - but then I have 2 weeks off at end of May/June so don't want to be unreliable!
    Oh my goodness! I really hope you find some time that you can take off. New parents would understand about having holiday booked- generally if you start a new job and have annual leave booked with an employer they will transfer if they can so it wouldn't be unusual to say that?

I say I give out dates by Feb half term but this year I was very organised and released before Xmas. That's because I booked an actual proper abroad holiday! I'm quite scared but it's not til end of August so plenty of time to get over it (or worry myself silly!)

10. Likes hectors house liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post

Oh my goodness! I really hope you find some time that you can take off. New parents would understand about having holiday booked- generally if you start a new job and have annual leave booked with an employer they will transfer if they can so it wouldn't be unusual to say that?

I say I give out dates by Feb half term but this year I was very organised and released before Xmas. That's because I booked an actual proper abroad holiday! I'm quite scared but it's not til end of August so plenty of time to get over it (or worry myself silly!)
    I booked my holiday for august too that's why I wanted dates handed out asap as my dates are different this year than my usual although suits more parents this way which is a bonus
    Tess1981

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I have given my holiday dates out this week for the year. We aren't planning on actually going away this year but still need to have that time out from work. When I look back at last year I only had 13 days off for the whole year so I have made sure and booked more this year.
    Only 13 days???? I had 9 days then weekends on top of that for Christmas lol
    I book 26 days of a year but this year I'm taking 28 and to soften the blow I included on the list that I will not be increasing fees this year... although he not increased any fees in lot 3 years
    Tess1981

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

xx
    I handed mine out before Christmas with the majority of holiday dates, training days etc...
    But if I need an extra day here or there I give at least 6 weeks notice (where possible)
    Luckily all my families are wonderful at the moment so if something crops up we work round it xx
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Simona Guest

xx
    Do you not have that stipulated in your contract so that both you and parents give each other adequate notice for holidays?
    Usually 4 weeks is enough but it is up to you.
    Also you may want to take the 'odd' day off for emergencies with maybe less notice
    Again that must be in your contract.

Some cms take time off at the same time each year...I used to...so there was never a need to inform parents but I still gave them 4 weeks notice...'just in case'

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Beez View Post
    I handed mine out before Christmas with the majority of holiday dates, training days etc... But if I need an extra day here or there I give at least 6 weeks notice (where possible) Luckily all my families are wonderful at the moment so if something crops up we work round it xx
    Do you charge parents for the days you're on training?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Do you charge parents for the days you're on training?
    No hun...never have.
    I've always looked at it that if I don't do the training I can't work, so I take the day unpaid.
    Majority are weekends anyway xx
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to do most of my training online now that is offered by my LA. What a lovely way to spend my evenings.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 weeks a year holiday plus Bank Holidays. Holidays 1/2 Fee BH full fee if they fall on a Contracted day.

I will be giving dates out next week and have already given dates up to and including Feb half Term until the end of the year except for 3 to 4 days which I keep for emergencies and for which I undertake to give as much notice as I can,

I take 4 paid Training Days a year as well as recommended by Pacey years ago.

sept10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have done a newsletter and put my main two weeks summer holiday dates on it and emailed it out Wednesday.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Deep breath, count to ten, try to stay calm.

My contracts say 4 weeks' notice of holiday either way, but I've always given clients lots of notice of my holiday dates, whilst accepting them giving me less than the 4 weeks on numerous occasions. My dates are largely dictated by the ones Mrs bunyip gets off from her "proper" job () : she usually has those confirmed by Christmas, although she'll still waiting this year, owing to a management snafu at her branch.

In any case, I've never booked more than 10 days of my owning choosing in any year, though I'm sometimes lucky enough to get a bit more if the clients' choice of their holiday dates coincide IYSWIM. To minimise inconvenience to TTO clients, I also try to keep most or all of my closure dates within the school holidays, although I make it clear this won't always be the case. I also won't sign a contract with anyone who doesn't have a 'plan B' fall-back arrangement in case I get sick or need a day off when they still need to go to work, so nobody should ever be without childcare, even if it means they occasionally have to fall back on granny or similar. Parents don't pay for my holidays, nor their own (reasonable Ts&Cs apply). In short it's a far better deal for parents than any other childcare setting in my area.

You'd think that would be acceptable. Read on.....................

Lovely news: one set of parents announce their forthcoming wedding, and invite us to the reception. Time and distance will necessitate us closing for one day in order to attend. So I started notifying parents late last week: 5+ months notice for a 1-day closure.

I'm furious. I told one mum and her response was, "Oh, that's in term-time. It's not very convenient: do you really have to go?" No? Oh, well I'll throw a wedding invitation back in someone's face just for your convenience shall I love? Or maybe see if they can't rearrange the entire wedding?

What's doubly irritating is that in 2 years, I've never previously had to inconvenience this mum with my holiday dates. On top of that, she's already asked me about the possibilty of swapping her regular days after Easter, as her own work schedule may need to change - so there's a good chance the wedding trip won't affect her in the slightest.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't believe how selfish people can be.

21. Likes rickysmiths, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How annoying! I do think that sometimes the more we try and make like as easy as possible for our clients (you know really thinking about their needs) the more they think they can push it! Very selfish behaviour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast