Spending Review and EY funding announcement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I still don't understand how this is seen as an increase, which the PM said we would have...don't tell me he's fibbed again

If the current rate is £5.09, £4.35 definitely isn't an increase.

And if the £4.35 is the rate that we would actually receive, I'm sure that won't be an increase in all LAs.

It is annoying me that £4.88 is the main figure being quoted when a lot of us won't get the EYPP, but again, parents will see the figures and think we're raking it in!

And the word worrying me most is "average". Does that mean some areas or types of settings will be paid more than others?
    Judging by peoples' comment we are all in the same boat...we don't know because no one expected a new funding and then a National Funding Formula to follow.

That consultation is one to look for when it comes around.

The funding for 2 year olds is £5.09 at the moment so if it goes to £5.39 it is a derisory increase...but...many LAs pay far more than that to attract providers.
    My LA pays £6.10...so cms would lose 71p

For 3/4 year olds the funding is so varied there is no average...for many £4.88 is good and because it includes EYPP there will be less paperwork and administration but...as you say...not all children get EYPP if parents can earn up to £100,000 each.
    so the actual funding for 3/4 'without' EYPP is £4.35..better for some but not others

Why employ such a big company like Deloitte if they did not come up with the goods?

Whatever the end result I don't feel this govt actually values Early years...so the campaign goes on....let the implementers work out what a con it may all be

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Judging by peoples' comment we are all in the same boat...we don't know because no one expected a new funding and then a National Funding Formula to follow.

That consultation is one to look for when it comes around.

The funding for 2 year olds is £5.09 at the moment so if it goes to £5.39 it is a derisory increase...but...many LAs pay far more than that to attract providers.
    My LA pays £6.10...so cms would lose 71p

For 3/4 year olds the funding is so varied there is no average...for many £4.88 is good and because it includes EYPP there will be less paperwork and administration but...as you say...not all children get EYPP if parents can earn up to £100,000 each.
    so the actual funding for 3/4 'without' EYPP is £4.35..better for some but not others

Why employ such a big company like Deloitte if they did not come up with the goods?

Whatever the end result I don't feel this govt actually values Early years...so the campaign goes on....let the implementers work out what a con it may all be
    THANK YOU SIMONA for all your efforts in reporting this back to us.

I've been hearing snippets all day, and then saw an email from foundation years and my first thought was 'so what is the funding if you don't have any EYPP children'. I have to say, if the funding for 3 & 4 yr olds WITHOUT EYPP is £4.38 ... then I won't be offering it anymore. Which is a shame, and may lose me children, but I can not afford to earn less than I already do!
    I agree, I don't feel this govt values early years at all - we are just a 'tool' they can use to bribe families into thinking the govt is doing wonderful things, without thinking about the fact that we are people with our own families!

4. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    THANK YOU SIMONA for all your efforts in reporting this back to us.

I've been hearing snippets all day, and then saw an email from foundation years and my first thought was 'so what is the funding if you don't have any EYPP children'. I have to say, if the funding for 3 & 4 yr olds WITHOUT EYPP is £4.38 ... then I won't be offering it anymore. Which is a shame, and may lose me children, but I can not afford to earn less than I already do!
    I agree, I don't feel this govt values early years at all - we are just a 'tool' they can use to bribe families into thinking the govt is doing wonderful things, without thinking about the fact that we are people with our own families!

thank you ...it's been a long day!
    All we can do at the moment is being pro-active....read and digest and do some sums....plan in advance and also inform parents before they start thinking we have had an increase.

After all this is a long way away....4Children would say it is good unfortunately but they work for the govt!

I am sure there will be opportunities to meet and discuss...we also need to hear the response from those who represent us
    I know PLA is doing the sums for us!

6. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all this, I've found it really interesting.

The current 3/4 rate in my LA is £3.00. I refuse to believe that any legislation will cause my LA to pass extra money on to us CMs unless they are forced to. :S I'm not signing up with them to take funded children until it's at least equal to my hourly rate. I feel awful about it, but I'd feel like a fool if I signed up to be paid less money, less often and in arrears. O_o

Simona Guest

I have a feeling the Spending Review has changed the amount of earnings when students start repaying their loans?

it seems to have gone unnonticed but, if true, it will have an effect on those practitioners getting a loan for EY degrees.

I am too tired to read through all of this tonight....maybe someone can take a look.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t-response.pdf

Not sure about this as I have just picked it up but it looks like single parents who work less than 16 hours/part time also lose out on the 30 hours...They will still get 15 I suppose....what a muddle!

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how this affects single parents, if they only get 15 hours I can see a huge backlash coming!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I was wondering how this affects single parents, if they only get 15 hours I can see a huge backlash coming!
    I'm sure I read some time ago in the proposal stage it's each parent in the child's home who has to be working 16 hours so single parents will still be eligible. It still allows for one parent not to be working though (split living separately ) and so capable to look after their child so brings up the question is this fair?

Simona Guest

In the original proposal parents had to be working for 8 hours each to be eligible to claim the full 30 hours...that included single mums, single parents or carers and part timers.
    Now they have to work 16 hours...that will probably exclude those of Zero hours contracts

While the press may be saying this is a wonderful policy there are many twists and turns and it is exclusive to those picked by this govt...working parents.

Another question that remains unanswered is: will the funding rise on a regular basis or will it remain stagnant as it was for the last 10 years where LAs did not increase our funding despite huge increases in our costs.

So far only PLA have flagged this up....let's see if others join in.

Simona Guest

Simona Guest

PLA have produced this FAQs to help us understand the ins and outs of yesterday's Funding Review announcement with clarification on EYPP, parents' eligibility and more

The ghost of the ratio issue has reappeared as well

Hope you find it useful!

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/pdf/faqs.pdf

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an aside: have they decided whether it is "childcare" or "education"?

If childcare, will they drop all the nonsensical rules about when it is delivered, session lengths, TTO, no weekends/evenings, etc. ?

If education, will a regime spokesperson stand up and admit to a policy which restricts access to education for those whose parents work too little or earn too much?

I think we should be told.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite surprised at comments I have seen (mainly among cm friends), where people are hailing the announcement a big success and a good thing for childminders.

Very few seem to be questioning it and seem to think we'll all be getting £4.88 an hour when the 30 hours come in to force.

Personally, I think we've got more questions than answers (as usual) and I'm certainly not encouraged or placated by any of the announcements.

16. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Just an aside: have they decided whether it is "childcare" or "education"?

If childcare, will they drop all the nonsensical rules about when it is delivered, session lengths, TTO, no weekends/evenings, etc. ?

If education, will a regime spokesperson stand up and admit to a policy which restricts access to education for those whose parents work too little or earn too much?

I think we should be told.
    Oh yes we should be told...but what should the DfE tell us when they have not a clue and will get all suggestions from the implementers or Guineaa pigs willing to give their valuable ideas?

Good point about the 15 hours of early education versus 15 of childcare....the latter we should be able to give as we see fit and not over 38 weeks.
    My take ....from what I have heard....is the govt did not expect to win the election and therefore this policy was a last minute thought....it backfired and now Morgan is lost.

Mouse...as I have said I personally think we need to be pro-active and reflect on this....I have read many thoughtful
    comments on this issue...no need to rush and plenty of time for debate.

The DFE response is far from clear....as usual!

Simona Guest

Bunyip...I forgot to tell you that 4 Children have now arranged for a number of meetings to discuss the 30 hours...these are up and down the country...have you received notification?

I would assume they will attempt to answer all the questions there and then.

Simona Guest

The DfE has produced a FAQs factsheet on the 30 hours of childcare

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...dcare-FAQs.pdf

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm quite surprised at comments I have seen (mainly among cm friends), where people are hailing the announcement a big success and a good thing for childminders.

Very few seem to be questioning it and seem to think we'll all be getting £4.88 an hour when the 30 hours come in to force.

Personally, I think we've got more questions than answers (as usual) and I'm certainly not encouraged or placated by any of the announcements.
    I agree with you. People have leapt on the £4.88 but that includes money that childminders don't normally get and not all families get anyway. It is an average figure that indicates that there will be different amounts in different places.

I think people have shared the announcement without knowing what is going on. Even Pacey had to retract their first statement because they got it wrong!

I think we need to wait for a lot more information before we can comment.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I agree with you. People have leapt on the £4.88 but that includes money that childminders don't normally get and not all families get anyway. It is an average figure that indicates that there will be different amounts in different places.

I think people have shared the announcement without knowing what is going on. Even Pacey had to retract their first statement because they got it wrong!

I think we need to wait for a lot more information before we can comment.
    I have shared all the announcements to keep cms informed of what is going on.
    The initial reactions from many cms may be reactive but we now have the info to be able to look into this further when the time comes

You are correct ...we need to wait for a lot more to come and for providers to be given the chance to discuss and understand the ins and outs of all this...and what follows from the Funding Review.....it is not as clear and as simple as people may think.
    Pacey have made a few comments and so have other representative associations....all in good faith and
    to reassure providers....maybe you would like to link us to pacey's comments although I have seen quite a few.

Let's be pro active and not criticise for no reason at all....the important issue is to be informed

Simona Guest

Latest news on the funding rate, ratios, EYPP etc etc.

Lower staff:child ratios to bring down costs, says DfE | Nursery World

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123