Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No more 'Grow Your Own Potatoes' scheme for CMers

Grow Your Own Potatoes project - Other ways to make the most of GYOP

That's a shame, CMers no longer eligible. Only for schools KS1 and KS2 for 2016.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no! That is a shame.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame, but I can understand how expensive it must get when they have so many small settings joining in.

Post Thanks / Like

I got an email about this yesterday, such a shame :-(

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

that is a shame - we've enjoyed our potatoes.

i'll still plant potatoes ... as long as someone reminds me when !!!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    that is a shame - we've enjoyed our potatoes.

i'll still plant potatoes ... as long as someone reminds me when !!!!
    Haha. Me too. When shall we start chitting?

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame. I must have got very expensive, at least it got lots of us interested and we can buy them and carry on with what is a great activity for everyone.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Saddening.

Here's the DIY solution:

Download the resource materials from the GYOP website.

Buy and make your own kit around January/February 2016 (you can start early if you can begin them in a greenhouse, otherwise wait until frosts are less likely (March-ish, but depends where you are in the UK.)

Buy 'first early' seed potatoes for preference. Best to get a variety with less top-growth, which means your bags will be easier to water and less top-heavy, so therefore less likely to topple over. (Gravity is a bu88er, and I wish Sir Isaac Newton had never invented it.) My personal favourite is 'Swift' but '|Rocket' is also good: both of these are widely available.

If you know a local family seed merchant or garden market stall or similar who sells by weight, you can probably buy a small handful of tubers. Otherwise you're stuck with the garden-centre pre-packs which are generally too big, but you could share with chums. If you're reading this Simona, then Percy Chapman's under the railway arches by the green are excellent.

Buy a bag of compost. Put all the compost in a big container where it can stay dry. Turn the bag inside out. That is now your potato-growing bag, complete with black outer surface which will attract the sun's warming rays. Put about 6 inches of compost back in the bag, ad a few tubers, cover with compost and water, not forgetting to punch a few holes in the base of the bag for drainage (use a pointy pencil). roll the sides of the bag down to help it get some light. As the green shoots grow, keep adding compost to almost-but-not-quite cover them, and keep unrolling the sides, until the bag is almost full or is in danger of falling over. You will need to lean it somewhere: preferably a sunny wall.

Harvest anything upward of 10 weeks after planting. So bags started in late February can be ready from late May. I like to move them under cover for a week before harvesting, to let the compost dry out a tad and not have to stick my hands in cloying wet compost, especially if there's a lot of rain about. Rummaging is a good way to hand-pick them and fun for the children. If there's any worry of ants having taken up residence, then tip the whole bag out onto a big plastic sheet or tarp and wait 10 minutes for the little blighters to scurry off first (the ants - not the children.)

11. Likes BallyH, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Saddening.

Here's the DIY solution:

Download the resource materials from the GYOP website.

Buy and make your own kit around January/February 2016 (you can start early if you can begin them in a greenhouse, otherwise wait until frosts are less likely (March-ish, but depends where you are in the UK.)

Buy 'first early' seed potatoes for preference. Best to get a variety with less top-growth, which means your bags will be easier to water and less top-heavy, so therefore less likely to topple over. (Gravity is a bu88er, and I wish Sir Isaac Newton had never invented it.) My personal favourite is 'Swift' but '|Rocket' is also good: both of these are widely available.

If you know a local family seed merchant or garden market stall or similar who sells by weight, you can probably buy a small handful of tubers. Otherwise you're stuck with the garden-centre pre-packs which are generally too big, but you could share with chums. If you're reading this Simona, then Percy Chapman's under the railway arches by the green are excellent.

Buy a bag of compost. Put all the compost in a big container where it can stay dry. Turn the bag inside out. That is now your potato-growing bag, complete with black outer surface which will attract the sun's warming rays. Put about 6 inches of compost back in the bag, ad a few tubers, cover with compost and water, not forgetting to punch a few holes in the base of the bag for drainage (use a pointy pencil). roll the sides of the bag down to help it get some light. As the green shoots grow, keep adding compost to almost-but-not-quite cover them, and keep unrolling the sides, until the bag is almost full or is in danger of falling over. You will need to lean it somewhere: preferably a sunny wall.

Harvest anything upward of 10 weeks after planting. So bags started in late February can be ready from late May. I like to move them under cover for a week before harvesting, to let the compost dry out a tad and not have to stick my hands in cloying wet compost, especially if there's a lot of rain about. Rummaging is a good way to hand-pick them and fun for the children. If there's any worry of ants having taken up residence, then tip the whole bag out onto a big plastic sheet or tarp and wait 10 minutes for the little blighters to scurry off first (the ants - not the children.)
    Fantastic. Thank you 😊